Tips for dealing with over stimulation at school?

My son is 5 and starting kindergarten in the fall. He isn't classified as special needs but we realized(Us as parents and his preschool teacher) that he gets over stimulated at class. She said that she was more worried that he may have trouble more because the teacher does not know him and cannot see that even though he may not look as if he is paying attention(looking around the room, fidgeting a bit) he really is.

She says that he can be doing that and then she will stop him and ask him what she was saying/discussing, and he can repeat it back, nearly word for word. He is also obsessed with order and if he sees something out of order(a toy on the floor etc) he HAS to get up from circle etc. and go and fix it. She allowed it as it she stated "he has to do it"(not so sure this was the best approach).

But he will also get over stimulated and need a quite time to calm down.

I'm worried about how to handle this when he goes into kindergarten, so any tips or "tricks" that you can offer me, perhaps some to work on with him this summer to prepare him?

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Special Needs

• i'd insist on an IEP meeting. Sounds like he may need an aid to keep him focused

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Is that something I should do before school starts or would it be better to give him a week or two to see how he does? He could do fine or he could nose dive. He knows most of the academic stuff the will be teaching I just don't know about the more social aspects, like sitting still, listening to the teacher etc.

We just moved to this area as well, I have talked with a few moms from the school and they say it is an awesome school for individual approaches and aid so that is a plus
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I'd call the district and voice your concerns. Who knows,maybe they could get you an assessment still this summer

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I'd ask for an IEP meeting like butterfly said. My dd gets very distracted during individual work time and gets nothing done. Part of the IEP states that she can use special headphones to block out noise. She also gets preferential seating due to her CAPD so that she can hear the teacher.

Those are things we discussed during the meeting and part of the plan we came up with.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I'd go for the IEP too. That will get everything out on the table so that the school can better comprehend your son's situation. Everyone stands to benefit.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 1:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• When my son was in first grade, his teacher took one of those big sets of headphones and cut the cords off for him. She called them his mufflers and he wore them when he was trying to focus on something and the other kids were being too loud for him. It helped a lot.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:54 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I agree, insist on an assessment. Be firm and don't let the school put you off with a "wait and see" attitude.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I'd get the assessment ASAP and not wait.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:15 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Get the IEP in place before school starts. If that is not possible ( because lord knows SOME school districts are freaking lazy) then make sure you go to meet the teacher night and address things with him/her. They will want to do an evaluation and all sorts of fun stuff. The sooner they are aware the more prepared they can be. Call today while offices may still be open. If they do take a wait and see attitude at least you can be the one to say "I told you so. "
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:46 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• To get an IEPER meeting I had to go through our local special education center. I think it's different everywhere and sometimes (depending on the school) the school isn't the best place to start. I know my son's school wants to avoid an IEP at all costs. SO.. I would ask the preschool teacher where to start and possibly document something with the pediatrician. Good luck to you!
    chickadee00

Answer by chickadee00 at 9:36 AM on Jun. 13, 2013