For those with children on the spectrum- what age were they diagnosed and what were the signs?

From what I understand, and I know it isn't much, signs of Autism (or any other spectrum word I should be using here?) are detected somewhere around 18m to 4 years? Sometimes later? So those of us here with little babies could very possibly have a special needs child and not know it, right?

Educate me, I'm wondering what age your children were diagnosed and if you had any clues at different ages or stages? I imagine it's a painful diagnosis to receive. You are all very good Mamas. We all have our own battles with our children, but it's a life long devotion that is also filled with much joy.

Thank you for sharing!

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Special Needs

• Both my cousins kids were diagnosed while they were pregnant with #3.... #3 was dx'ed earlier b/c of that.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• My son had a very traumatic birth that caused some significant delays, so he was in therapy from the time he was about a year and a half old. He was in Early Intervention until he was 3 and then went into Early Childhood from 3-5, when at 5, they finally added the Autism label. He had caught up by that time with his speech and motor delays, but he was showing some other things like echolalia, obsessing over certain topics, some social issues, being easily overstimulated, having major transition issues. Things like that. From the time he was 3, his OT thought it was possibly a motor planning issue caused by his birth, meaning that his mind doesn't know how to anticipate things. I believe that he is very high functioning autism, but that the OT was right as well about the motor planning. The older he gets, the easier things are for him and the more "symptoms" go away and don't come back.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• my son has moderate autism
    He started having oral issues around a year. He couldn't handle food with texture and would gag and vomit. He never pointed at anything/anyone. Spoke very little. Had issues with lights,noise,and textures from 3 months on

And yes. Any one of us could have a child with some issue. The autism spectrum for one,encompasses quite a few issues. Kids can develop health issues,lose hearing or sight,or get in an accident and become a SPECIAL NEEDS child.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Also, my youngest son has an achademic diagnosis of autism, which may or may not be accurate. He had a very severe speech delay and we never figured out the cause. At 5, he started speaking normally. He was having obsessive thoughts and being overstimulated, but he seems to be leaving that behind. I plan to have him re-evaluated in the next year.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• dx at 3
    but had birth to three services- they called it Sensory processing disorder (because those therapist not allowed to dx autism)

she had a lot of loss of functioning after four shots at 18 months
    reaction to shots, had to go on steroid cream, lost her words, lost eye contact, and started to smash her head into the floor

autism not just lack of speech, lack of communication better way to look at it
    does child point to things they want, do they prefer to play alone, seem to be in their own world more than other peers, stare at lights or fans, very into spinning things or spinning themselves, not liking to be touched or held, might like firm touch but hate light touch, food issues, sometimes large motor issues- less balance etc
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Ds was 5 when he was was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. *I* started to suspect something was not quite right around the time he was 3 but DH was not on board- blaming our parenting skills and him being 'immature'. Looking back I can honestly say things were not quite right practically from birth. I remember him being a few weeks old and thinking what a great baby I had. He never cried to be held, I could put him down and never heard a sound out of him. At around 12-15 months we noticed he had no interest in other kids being present but we figured it was because they were all walking and he was not yet. At 2 we thought it was hilarious that he would rather sit and look at books than play outside and that he would spend hours lining up matchbox cars and stacking his books. We thought it was cute that he did not want strangers to even talk to him and that he hated the feel of grass on his feet....
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• My tepson has Asperger's, which is at the mild end of the spectrum. He had a difficult birth that ended in a vacuum and forceps delivery. I entered his life as a family friend when he was seven years old and almost immediately started pushing for medical intervention; his parents thought he was just a challenging kid. He would freak out if his routine changed, like a holiday from school, he had tantrums and meltdowns, picked his clothes apart thread by thread. He was diagnosed with ADHD at eleven, and unfortunately the search stopped there. Eventually, he got services at school for an unknown emotional diagnosis. Finally, last year, after talk of suicide and another trip through the juvenile courts for vandalism, caused by lack of impulse control, he was rigorously testd and diagnosed with Asperger's, sensory issues, anxiety, and a mood disorder, probably started by his traumatic birth. Early intervention is key!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• by 3 I noticed he was very 'touchy' the smallest things seemed to send him into 30 minute or longer crying fits. He would cry the entire time I was making dinner EVERY night with out fail- wanting it now and offering a snack simply made it worse. Running out of his favorite cereal was a tragedy and he would push children that came near him on the playground. At K$ he could not write his name. He could not get his sheet on his mat. He would pinch and push kids who got to close. He would walk away form circle times... We tried Karate to teach him some discipline. It went well for a while then he got to where he would not even walk in the building with out screaming and trying to throw things. This was the last straw for me. I did research and was sure it was an ASD. DH- not so much... I made an appt with a specialist and several hours and MANY papers later- he was Diagnosed and so our journey began...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Early intervention is key!

^^ I so completely agree. I am lucky that I had a lot of support from the start, both from therapists and later from the schools. The changes in my kids from the different therapies have been so dramatic and positive, and having help and support has made our lives easier as well.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I wish we had caught DS sooner but he was our first child so I had nothing to compare him to and then with DH's head in the sand...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2013