It's heartbreaking. Not a question.

My boyfriend called to update me while his folks' estate sale was going on. It was heartbreaking to hear him telling people as they walked into his parents' old house, "End of the day. Everything's half price or better. Make a bundle and we'll make you a deal." And then watching his mom's dishes and things going out the door. I've decided right now that I'm not going to get old with a houseful of stuff someone else will have to deal with. I'm going to get rid of the unneeded junk, even if it's nice junk. I'm going to tell my daughter and stepkids to take what they want, sell what they can without too much trouble, and have no qualms about donating the rest or pitching it in the trash.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Relationships

• I went through this when my dad died unexpectedly, it made me furious to see people rummaging through his stuff and I ended up giving it all away to a nice elderly couple for peanuts........

Answer by older at 2:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I had to go thru this when both my parents passed on. It took forever with my Mother's stuff. She was neat and organized but kept everything she had ever owned, in boxes and storage containers, stored neatly in her closet. From ceiling to floor she had stuff.

I hope to leave behind next to nothing.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• That is really sad, and I am sure it's very difficult for him. :( I agree with you about getting rid of stuff you don't need. I am always weeding stuff out, partly because I plan to move at some point and I don't want to keep dragging stuff I don't use from state to state, but also because my house feels more peaceful and comfortable without extra STUFF. I hate clutter.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I am 52yo and all ready have decided to sell everything including the house. Before we get to old and just buy an RV and live in it.  Make it simple for me or my DH to deal with.

Answer by louise2 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• My Mother was like that.She had a storage trunk packed with gifts from when they got married. Towels, dishes, bed linen. never used. When my father passed they have been married for over 30 years. She kept all the letters/cards/gifts she got from family/friends over the years. All of her 8 children report cards, stuff we made in school.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Hey louise, not to burst your bubble, but Do NOT do the RV thing. My BFF's parents did that about 15 years ago, fresh into retirement, sold the house, got an RV, traveled the country... UNTIL.... Her dad had 2 major heart attacks. He was unable to drive the RV, let alone handle all the hooking up, etc. He needed medical care and had to be on bedrest for 3 months, and they were essentially HOMELESS.
    RV's don't hold much value after 15 years and thousands of miles, and now they are in subsidized housing. Not how they imagined they'd end up!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I had to do the same thing with my parents' home. But we didn't actually do the estate sale and sell the house till about nine months after my mother died; my brother wasn't ready to handle it and since he was executor I went along with it. There were a lot of things we gave away to good friends, and some things we each kept for ourselves.

Because we had waited, it wasn't quite so heartbreaking as it probably would have been had we done it earlier. There were even some real surprises. My dad kept his tax records all the way back to when we first moved to California in 1972! Everything was in a file cabinet. He even had my first tax return in that cabinet.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Seriously, my boyfriend's mom had her graduation diploma from grade school. She had a string of pearls that some church friend had given her, and she hated to get rid of them because this woman had wanted her to have them, even though she didn't like pearls. She had a collection of those little ceramic animals that used to be given out in tea boxes, because maybe they'd be valuable someday. And so on and so on, a house filled to the gills.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2013