Jolt start to my day, I'm out of sorts.

So I was in a dead sound sleep this morning, and my daughter yelled, "Mama! Help!"

I think my feet hit the floor before my eyes were open. My hart was trying to jump out through the top of my head. I ran into her room with my mind full of horrible possibilities--okay, I'll admit it, I worry too much, and it turned out she had hidden in her sleeping bag under a pile of stuffed animals and wanted me to try and find her.

We had a little chat about yelling for help when you don't ned it and what it means to "cry wolf." But it's hours later, and I'm still off. Two cups of coffee later, and I want to be back in that sound sleep. And I'm a grouch.

So have any of you woken up to false adrenaline alarms? If you have, can you shake it off, or does it stay with you?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• YES! My husband had gone to work at 5am and I was fast asleep at 6am when the doorbell rang. FUCK! Nothing good comes from the doorbell ringing that early in the morning. I jumped up and put some clothes on and ran to open the door. There wasn't anyone there... just our fucking cat. My husband had let him out when he left for work and he had accidentally rang the doorbell. And because I let him in he learned that it would work if he did it again. So I was in for a year of that waking out of a dead sleep because the cat and the doorbell.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Yikes, what a way to start the day! Yes, stuff like that has happened and thrown my whole day off.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I agree Yikes. and I get thrown off for the whole day. ((hugs)) :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• OMG yes.

A cat and a doorbell that is hilarious!

My husband left for work one day and after 10 minutes the sliding glass door opened in the kitchen and someone was banging around in the dark! Dumba** forgot his keys! Scared me stupid.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Yes. Though it stays with me for awhile, I can usually just shake it off.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I know that must have scared you very much, I had one of those mid day once. It is the side effect of the adrenaline. From my experience, I'm sorry to say but it should get better by the next day only. That is how it was with me. I hope your baby never does that to you again.
    Nicollea

Answer by Nicollea at 3:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• A week ago, I woke from a dream that left me unsettled & agitated, tons of adrenaline. I realized pretty quickly that it "wasn't real" but I still felt upset about it in a lingering way. It definitely was staying with me (the literal situation wasn't true but all my feelings about it were very real, and the adrenaline was related to that.) I didn't "shake it off," really, but I did go ahead and really process it, which was an emotional challenge. But at that point, I reached some internal resolution and I was able to move on.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2013