Help!! My 2 year old is very active. He doesn't listen, he doesn't sit still, he doesn't do what hes told at all. I sit him down and he gets right back up. I tell him not to do something and he does it anyways. I mean, this is everyday the same routine. Nothing has changed over the last two months of repeating myself. I do spank him when necessary. When enough is enough. I keep telling myself that he's in the terrible twos but hes very terrible!! lol.

He wants to do whatever HE wants to do! Even having tantrums. I dont take him out a lot though because he doesnt want to.hold my hand and he'll run off. He'll have tantrums in supermarkets, malls, neighbors houses, you name it. :\

Ilovemyboys2318

Asked by Ilovemyboys2318 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The joys of a 2 year old!

*although, mine were worse at 3.

Just keep repeating yourself, keep enforcing the rules, and take deep breath or go in the bathroom and scream! Eventually it will pass, then you will move on to other fun things :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• What you could also do is keep him busy with projects, or like someone mentioned, let him burn off this energy at the park....or redirect his energy when he has a tantrum, redirect, redirect and keep at it, it will eventually pass, but not disciplining now means problems later on,..

Answer by older at 2:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• He's two. Basically like a puppy. Don't spank him. Obviously it's not helping. If he has fits when he's out the keep him home & shop at night when your DH can watch him. That's just the way it is. You are making it worse by freaking out about it so now he knows how to get your attention. Explain to him when he acts like a big boy & nice when you go out then he can come with you otherwise he stays home. He's bored. Find something he enjoys. How about toddler playtime at the Library? Call & ask what's available.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:30 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Sounds like a typical 2yo( I have one myself) they try your patience and he may just be a little bored if you keep him home a lot. Try bringing him to fenced in parks and let him have so fun. G/L
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• You need to make him look you in the eye when you reprimand, and talk at his level......and keep doing this for however long it takes...they do not call this stage the terrible two's for nothing!

Answer by older at 2:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• You're earning your gray hairs, Mom. The terrible twos can trigger a bad cycle of negativity. Try to break that cycle by having fun with your little guy when you can. Play tickling games. Run through the sprinkler. One thing that really helped my daughter and me was suggested by a WIC nurse. Let him practice his negativity. Ask him questions that are obviously answered with a no. "Is the sky purple?" "Are you a pickle?" He'll laugh and say "Noooooo!" and it sounds silly, but I swear he'll be less negative in other parts of his life when he has an outlet for the no's.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• He's 2.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• you gonna come back and talk to us?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Well spanking doesn't work and maybe you can try the knotty step it works the best. Boys need to play in the dirt. You can try to use a stroller, put him in it and say I will take you for fun if you listen to mom (have low expectations he is a baby) and when he doesn't listen put him back in the stroller, give him another chance you can come out for fun if you listen to mommy and when he chooses not to listen put him back in. It takes patience you are training a child to be a functioning human he needs structured discipline that way he knows oh not listening meens being stuck in the stroller. Also remember to chose your battles. Go to the park for this specific purpose of training him also give a warning before you put him back in the stroller that way he makes up his mind to listen or not. Don't spank it only helps you not the child.
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 5:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• For it to be effective, you have to spank consistently. If you are only doing it after you've tried everything else, it won't work. I have 7 grandchildren in addition to our 3 grown children, and I can assure you that spanking works. There is a right way to do it, and that is what makes it effective. It breaks my heart to hear of parents like you who can't take their little children out to places without fear of a meltdown. It just doesn't have to happen, and you don't have to be a "mean mommy" to see to it that it doesn't. The best tools for disciplining children have been tainted by people who did not know what they were doing, and then by them telling all the rest of us that it doesn't work. If you want to read the best book I've ever read on child training, it's SHEPHERDING THE HEART OF A CHILD by Tedd Tripp.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2013