Confession- I used the money in my 3 year olds piggy bank.

We are not making it this month. Had a huge unexpected bill. I coinstarred her piggy bank (15 dollars is what was in it) to buy a pack of diapers for the baby.

How bad is that?

She'll get the money back and it was just change she picks out of our pockets anyway. I am proud of her for saving money and her piggy bank was full, now she gets to re-fill it. We walked to the store together and she got to do the coinstar which was fun for her. She doesn't care about the money.

You gotta do what you gotta do, right?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 4:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• Gotta do what ya gotta do. It's nice that she'll get the money back, but she learned a lesson today about what it means to be part of a family. All for one and one for all.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• ive done it before. so long as your DD was okay with it, theres no problem. if anything she learned what its like to be apart of the family...everybody helps out!

unexpected bills are the worst!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Totally fine. You are showing her about helping someone in need/ family in need. You are going to give it back to her anyway.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• RIGHT!!!!! I am sure she would have approved if she had understood!

Answer by older at 4:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I did that last week! I had no singles & my kids wanted Ice Cream from the Ice Cream Man. I had to think quick! LOL! Hey, they have no idea what money is anyway so you needed it & that's it! Don't feel bad. The ice cream was sooo worth it :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Common sense would say. If you have to raid your kids pigy banks. You need to get rid of some bills. Like the internet or cable/satilight.

Answer by louise2 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I think many parents have done the same thing. Sometimes you just gotta do it.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I have my own piggy back...lol...growing up that's what my mom did. She'd keep a jar/coffee and put her spare change in it. After a few months, we'd all sit at the kitchen table and roll it. Usually enough to pay a $120 power bill, but she was a waitress, so she always had a good bit of change. Sometimes you gotta do whatcha gotta do.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 5:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• You gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Exactly!
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• If you stay strapped for money you could look into cloth diapers, though if you don't have a washer or you pay for much for your water then that wouldn't be very helpful anyways lol

I've dipped into my child's savings account before, we really needed the money and had no choice.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2013