How can I get my 11 month old baby girl weaned from breastfeeding?

I have been exclusively breastfeeding my daughter for 11 months now, she never really accepted a bottle. She has started drinking from a sippy cup, but for some reason will only drink water from it. She was taking less breast milk so I thought she might wean her self, but now she wants it ALL the time! She tries pulling down my shirt and when I try giving her, her cup she just screams :/ I really want her weaned by 12 months, as selfish as it might seem I just need my body back!

mommaluv26

Asked by mommaluv26 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say just take the crying fits. If shes is thirsty she will drink. It sucks but itll happen. I know what you mean some times you just want control of yourself.
    LostInMyMind

Answer by LostInMyMind at 4:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I would start by cutting where she is allowed to nurse. (example: Only in the rocking chair) After a week or so start limiting when she can nurse (example:after breakfast, before nap and before bed) For about 2 weeks I would remind her 'It's time to lay down for nap- Do you want to nurse?' After a that I would stop asking and when she forgets-she forgets... This will not only ease her out of the routine making it less stressful for both of you but it will also allow your body to adjust to the lack of nursing.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• In order to wean you need to drop one feeding a day a week at a time or you will end up engorged and risk mastitis and clogged ducts. If you would like to switch to pumping you can replace her water with breastmilk. She may be teething or getting sick.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Is she eating table food well? Try giving her a bit more at meals and snacks, and water. She may wean herself; mine did. Also, she could be nursing for comfort. Does she have a blanket or other security object?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Keep in mind she's too young for whole milk, and if you're concerned about nutrients you have to wean to formula. Might be worth your while to hold out for a few more weeks.

And hate to break this to you but as mom you NEVER get your body back! **grin** I am a tackle dummy, a pillow and canine furniture, and my son is nearly 14 years old. It's a lifetime lease.

You can set limits if you want. But weaning is done by dropping ONE feeding per week till gone.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• My daughter stopped on her own by 1 yrs old. My friends son nursed until 2 yrs old and they both still enjoy it. There must be some reason that your baby still wants you. I wouldn't suggest letting the baby cry it out at all like some previously mentioned because she only thinks you are rejecting her. I would give it to her less frequently and just make her forget over time, don't offer it to her at all, only through the bottle and if she doesn't want it so be it. But as gdiamante mentioned weaning takes time. You should hold out longer.
    Nicollea

Answer by Nicollea at 7:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Yes gdiamante explained it better than I did. One feeding a week. If it is not gradual it will be painful. Baby is too young for cows milk so the feeding would have to be replaced with formula which she probably will refuse to drink out of her silly and end up very angry with you for those boobies back.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Thank you all for your feedback.. I'm gonna try taking away just one feeding a week and I guess just stick it out til she's ready..
    mommaluv26

Comment by mommaluv26 (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Jun. 9, 2013

• gdiamante explained it best!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2013