Okay, I draw the line!

We have a little front yard fountain--boyfriend's idea because I think keeping it free of algae is too much work even though I like the bubbling sound--and my daughter just saw a dead bird in the water. Boyfriend won't be back till tomorrow night. In the days when I was on my own, I would have called my dad. Yeah, I know, I'm a wimp, but I just can't stomach the thought of reaching in that basin and not knowing exactly what I'm going to grab and where. Will it hurt anything if the dead bird stays there till Monday morning? My daughter knows not to touch it or go near the fountain. She's already cried over the bird. Or do I really have to suck it up and get the bird out and into the dumpster? I don't know how you single moms do it!

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Home & Garden

• As much as I wish I could tell you you can leave it, I'm afraid it could really contaminate the water. Plus, you don't know what the bird died from, or do you? If you don't, I'd be concerned about that as well. I'd do like someone else suggested, and put a plastic bag over your hand. Gag while you do it, if you must - I know I would!
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Just put a plastic bag over your hand, fish it out flip the bag over and toss it.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 5:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Get one of those big gulp cups from the corner store and scoop it up so you don't have to touch it....

::shivers::
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I would put on some gloves and pull it out. Bacteria will only breed more if you wait. I would hate it too, but sometimes you have to do gross things to keep your yard safe. I have to go out and smash scorpions at night, gritting my teeth every damn time.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• do you have a plastic spoon or spautla that you can get it out with and then toss them both?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• yeah- or the plastic bag over the hand would probably work out better
    charlotsomtimes

• I agree with the plastic bag over your hand inside out or ask a neighbor to help! He's gonna get stinky if you leave him. Wonder why he keeled over in the fountain??
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Ughhhh I feel for you. I would do as others suggest and use a bag over my hand so you don't have to actually touch it.

I'd be gagging the entire time, too.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• :(!!!!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I gagged. A lot. I may gag all night. But the bird has been retrieved from the drink and given a proper garbage can burial.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2013