Have any moms of kids with ADHD tried B-12 supplements to help with focus?

My stepson's mom is on a kick about this right now. I don't suppose it will hurt any, but does it really help? She thinks it will and has convinced him it will, so there's always the power of positive thinking. The mind can do wonderful things, and I'd never take that possibility away from my stepson. But I'm curious about whether there's evidence to back up a link between B-12 vitamins and improved focus in teens and kids with ADHD.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Special Needs

• I've tried Coromega Omega-3 supplements (liquid packets) and Source Naturals Attentive Child (along with her medication), but I really didn't notice any difference. I may try doing it again this summer with the Omega-3 packets (along with her medication), I figure it can't hurt and fish oil is good for you. I would never just give her supplements in place of medication because her ADHD is severe, it may work for others but it doesn't work for dd on it's own.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• We tried DHA and an herbal supplement called Brightspark. We did not feel it worked for him... I have not heard of using B-12 but I am interested to hear what others say...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I've read fish oil can work, and noticed a difference when my kids took it (they used to be on meds, but before they were on meds and after I was forced to take them off them thanks to an insurance screw up, it did help. We homeschool now, so I can deal with their symptoms, but before they had to be on meds because they were in public school and the fish oil didn't make enough of a difference).

I think someone once told me B-12 could help, but I haven't seen anything that backs up that person's claim, at least not with any real substance. I suppose if the child is willing, and everyone (including his doctor) is on board and willing to work with him while giving it a trial run (meaning willing to cut him a bit of slack in case it doesn't work and give him time to get readjusted to meds or whatever), you could give it a shot. I would definitely be talking with his doctor, though.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• My son has epilepsy and would have anger issues as a lovely side effect of the meds. He definitely calmed down on B-6 supplements. Maybe there is something to it. And least to lessen some of it. I doubt it's a cure all though.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• No but I have tried B6 with magnesium and it helped a bit. DMG was the only "natural" thing that ever made a really noticeable difference though.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• My kids won't take it. The liquid is "disgusting" and my oldest cannot yet swallow a tablet. Might try it again with my middle boy and see if tablets taste better. The liquid does off the taste of juices and such so you can't hide it in their drinks.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• It's a supplement to his meds right now. It's not worth the risk of taking him off the meds, after the school trouble and legal issues we've been through, unless the B-12 makes a big difference. In my opinion, it's his mom looking for another easy fix. Sorry, I'll probably take guff for that, but if she'd be more vigilant about his regular medical appointments, I wouldn't feel that way.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2013