S/o.. For those of you who are ok with taking your kids money.

When /if your kid takes money from you when they're older will you be ok with it seeings they obviously needed something at the time?

funlovinlady

Asked by funlovinlady at 5:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• I don't touch their piggy banks. My parents used to take from mine and I didn't like it. Especially if it was allowance money I earned doing chores or whatever that I had saved. It would make me sad to want to buy something and be that close only to find my bank had been empty. It came to a point where I was hiding money from my parents because my mom was buying cigarettes and Pepsi with it. I know because I asked and she said she needed cigarettes and Pepsi. That's why I won't touch their banks. It hurts to be stolen from, no matter the age.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Needed a new video game, a new TV something materialistic is one thing.

Needing to pay the rent, pay a bill that cannot wait, diapers, gas in the car to get to work to earn money, food.

Is completely different. If my child truely needed something and not just WANTED something then I would have no problem giving them money when they are older and would not expect it to be paid back, I would like it to be but not expect it.

Borrowing money from a child's account or piggy bank when you NEED something for the family is not wrong.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Only people who have never fallen on hard times act all righteous about a child's piggy bank. When dh & I were both unemployed (back in 2008-2009) we had sold everything possible, used our entire savings, and got rid of all unnecessary expenses. One week we were really desperate, and I used money from the kids' piggy banks to buy food. It was either that or starve because the food banks had next to nothing at that point and we had already used what we did get from them.

When I got a part time job and received my first check, I paid them back with interest. Since that time I have learned to never, ever judge another person who might be struggling.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• The child is part of the family and it is not a far fetch idea for them to loan you money when it is absolutely necessary. In years past children would work and their entire paychecks would go towards the family, or they worked in the family business or on the farm for no pay.

They are part of the family and it is going towards the best interest of the family.

it is not always feasible to borrow from another adult and in most cases we are not talking about very much money at most perhaps a hundred bucks.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Stealing: To take what is not yours without intention of giving back and without the knowledge of the other party.

Borrowing a child's money is not stealing. borrowing does not equal stealing.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Well- when the money comes from the bottom of my purse in the first place and the kid is 3 years old and her baby sister, the light of her life, needs diapers, yeah it's cool with me and it's cool with her.

Do I also eat the candy from her Easter basket and Halloween bag? Yeah.

staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• For Christ's sake, everyone who posted that she's done it has said she put it back. I've taken money from my daughter's savings account for an urgent dental bill and put it back as soon as I could. Its called borrowing, and yes, I'll be okay if my daughter borrows from me when she's older, if she asks first. I won't be okay if she steals, which is taking money with no intention of returning it. Big difference. I'll ask her if I ever need to borrow from her when she's old enough to understand what money means, but last winter when I had a bad tooth that was making me nonfunctional as a parent, asking would have been pointless.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• obviously using it to fulfill your own habits is wrong and selfish.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Just a funny, my oldest DD was looking over my shoulder earlier at this (she's only 6 but, has a high reading level) and just now she came up to me and gave me a dime because she wanted me to have it. She is so sweet. But, again, I've never taken or borrowed money from her. I've never asked her, when she's given, she's given freely out of her own idea.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I never got money as a child, we didn't get money for doing our chores and I hardly ever got money from others for birthdays(we didn't celebrate them much and were not close to family).

While I didn't have the greatest parents(had a step father who would steal my cold medication to get high when I was ill) I try not to transfer that unrealistically onto my child.

Meaning just because I had a negative experience with a certain wrong parenting behavior(such as parents taking money) doesn't mean that any form of that is completely wrong.

Learning to look out for others and contribute to the family(when done fairly) is a valuable lesson, and I don't just mean lending money.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2013