Any lawyers? And/or police? I have a question about wills and murder

Now that I've got your attention (and probably that of the government and police, as well! lol)

I am working on my next book, and I've run into a small snag. Basic outline of my situation:

Man is killed. His will names someone as the major heir (others inherit, but this particular person got the lion's share and the most significant stuff in terms of sentiment0. The police are looking for this heir, who becomes more and more likely as a suspect, because they can't find him.

Dead man's lawyer (who helped with the will) knows that dead man had plans to change will - and the person who inherited in the will that was used was NOT going to inherit as much in the new will - but the will was not actually changed before his death. Lawyer does not know if the dead man told anyone else of his intention to change the will. Of course, this would make the missing heir a bigger suspect now.

My questions are:

1. Would the lawyer tell the police who are investigating the murder of the dead man's intention to change his will and what the intended change was? Or rather, CAN he do that? And if he can't, what would happen if he does anyway?

2. What information about the missing heir can the lawyer disclose to the police and to the dead man's family? The police can't find him, but can the lawyer give them the address and phone number he has for the heir? Can he tell them about interactions he had with the heir, if he had any? Or if, for example, the dead man told him that he was removing the heir because (the heir lied, he found out the heir wasn't who he said he was, they had a fight, whatever), can he tell them that?

Also, if there are any police officers out there, couple of questions for you:

1. Your jurisdiction is X, murder happened in X, suspect lives in Y. Do you ask Y police to pick suspect up? Or do you go there, and meet with Y police so you can get suspect and take him back to X?

2. Is there any possibility at all anymore that a murderer could leave behind absolutely no evidence at all? No fingerprints, DNA, footprints, absolutely nothing at all? Or is there always something, even if it's super minor and almost goes unnoticed?

Thank you to anyone who can help!

wendythewriter

Asked by wendythewriter at 6:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Entertainment

• 1. No
    2. The American Bar Association will investigate the issue and will decide whether or not revoke his license, or fine him him a couple thousand dollars.
    3. No to all..
    ******
    1. The law varies state to state. A few states allow the officer to go anywhere in that state to make an arrest. But the officer has to have enough suspicion to believe that a crime has been committed. In other states the officers cannot make an arrest outside of their jurisdiction or any evidence they may come that from can be suppressed in court.
    2.. The CSI do NOT miss any potential evidence. At a crime scene, there are a lot of CSI's in a crime scene, and all those CSIs specializes in a certain area. For example there is the blood spatter expert. They can see the blood and determine how tall that person was, or see the blood droplets and determine which way the person was going as they were fleeing the scene ...

cont
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:36 AM on Jun. 9, 2013

• On the second questions. The police would ask jurisdiction Y for cooperation in picking up said suspect. They can not legally go into jurisdiction y without consent of that police department as well as their cooperation as they have to make the actual arrest.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Are you really working on your next book, or hatching a different kind of evil plot? *Grin.* I'm no help, but I hope you get your answers soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Locard's exchange principles says in basic terms that a person cannot be in a place without both leaving behind a part of themselves(fiber, hair, fingerprints, dna etc) and/or taking part of that environment with them. It is possible to commit a murder and to not leave behind any physical evidence but it very very very difficult, it requires a clean suit and careful consideration of the scene(no footprints etc). Your common murderer will not have the dedication and/or know how to do this. It is possible for no evidence to be found more often due to missed evidence by the investigating party.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/locards-exchange-

tntmom1027

• In the case of a clean suit the person will still take along evidence of the scene but they would then dispose of it so as not to be found by the police, so technically they haven't left with nothing just gotten rid of it later.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I know that if the will was not legaly changed before the death of this person. It will go to the person/s in the will. As far as I know the lawyer only had a confidatily thing with the dead guy. Not the poeple in the will. But I am no lawyer either. Not 100% sure.

Answer by louise2 at 7:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• 1A and 2A- according to Law and Order and similar shows depends on the lawyer and whether or not they have a back bone
    1B and 2B- Michigan Mom will be your best resource. She's in law enforcement. So is her husband?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I have no idea but I always love your questions lol
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• ...But the CSI can compromise any evidence, or screw up the chain of custody and have the possibility of that evidence being suppressed. Like Edmond Locard said, "Every contact leaves its trace." They will lose some of their hair, the fibers from his clothing, the glass he breaks, the tool mark he leaves, the paint he scratches, the blood or semen he deposits or collects..Another way is when the first responder does not secure the scene right way, and that also will screw up the scene big time.
    Sometimes a CSI will find trace evidence that will solve a case.

I hoped this helped..
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:07 AM on Jun. 9, 2013

• It did help, Michigan! Thank you! So now, let me ask you something else, then...

The dead body wasn't killed where he was found. He was moved to the edge of a lake. I want there to be many suspects, one of whom is related to the dead guy. But I want it all to be just because the suspects are known to have a hostile relationship with him or because they could have killed him to try to inherit. So, I don't want evidence that will immediately point to so-and-so like a neon sign saying, "He did it! There's your killer!" Any suggestions on how I can do that? I also don't necessarily want the evidence to be unusable. How long would it take to determine who the blood or hair or whatever came from? Could I have the lab be really backed up and slow to delay it or is that outside the realm of possibility?
    wendythewriter

Comment by wendythewriter (original poster) at 7:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2013