My little one will be 7 weeks on Tuesday. He is breast fed when he's with me but formula fed when I'm at work. I didn't pump prior to going back to work. For the last 3 maybe 4 weeks he's had maybe 1 dirty diaper every 2-3 days. I've given him suppositories and he goes I've even given him gripe water. Whenever I haven't given him something he seems to strain to go and is real cranky but doesn't have a movement. Is this normal for his age?

Kedwards25

Asked by Kedwards25 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is his belly firm? That's a sign of constipation. It's normal for a bf baby to not poop every day. They use almost every nutrient in bm. What I would do would be to insert an anal thermometer into his butt and see if that helps unclog whatever the issue is before giving him suppositories. How many formula bottles is he having per day?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Formula can actually cause constipation. The best way is to pump or hand express the milk, it takes longer but is worth it, and feed your new baby mostly your own milk. It is the healthiest way to avoid constipation. Remember, formula is made using cows milk, babies can only have milk after 1 yrs old. Safest way is your own milk, it just gives you a piece of mind.
    Nicollea

Answer by Nicollea at 7:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Stimulating the anus to retrieve a bowel movement is dangerous because the baby can start to rely on that method for relief instead of using the muscles to do it himself/herself.

Breastfed babies can go weeks without a dirty diaper. I am sure a few days on a supplemented diet is normal. The indicator you should be looking for is if the diaper is hard and dry when dirty- if the stool is soft baby is okay.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• If you think your baby is really that constipated. You might want to talk to his doctor about this. Forcing a child to go with bowel stimulants is not good.  For anyone.

Answer by louise2 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• He's only constipated if it comes out hard. It can be normal for babies that age to go up to 10 days between poops. My son went every 4-5 days. This is completely normal. Stop with the suppositories.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• It doesn't matter if it's breast or formula.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Breastfed babies don't poop every day, so that's not too concerning, but the straining is. I'd talk to his doctor in case he has some kind of a bowel issue. I had a friend with two girls who had narrowing of the bowels. The second one had no lifelong issues because the problem was caught early.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2013