Help/Advice for Potty Training my 2.5 yr old. She just doesn't want to do it.

So my DD is two and a half years old and still not potty trained. She doesn't even like diaper changes and I don't know why. Whenever I ask her if she wants to potty she says no. Whenever she gets a dirty diaper I ask her if she went potty and she says no. As I see her about to start straining to go potty I tell her let's go potty and she says no she doesn't want to and runs away, then hides somewhere and goes in her diaper. I tell her all the time but saying it over and over again does not work. Only sometimes when I have her sitting on the toilet she would go, but those days are rare, she just gets off and says she doesn't want to go, and goes in the diaper again later on. I tried talking nicely, I tried telling her sternly, I don't want to ground her for it because then she will definitely not tell me when she wants to go. What else can I do. I don't want her to be 3 and still not potty trained. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Nicollea

Asked by Nicollea at 8:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• agree about the control thing
    more you push now- more she will not do it
    sounds like a strong little female (stubborn)

have to find way that it is her idea

sticker chart... make one and place a sticker every time YOU go potty--lol

stickers did not work for me and mine, daughter lost interest in a day
    so i did naked potty training
    put her in long T shirt dress and nothing else
    when she had to go, she had choice of having it run down her leg or use the potty
    she hated the feeling of it running down leg, she she had no other choice

here is hoping you have either a sticker lover, or a wetness down the leg hater

step back and try again in a couple months
    ignoring tantrums works, so ignoring her control over this might too

MANY kids are trained after 3- not the end of the world, you are almost there, hang in there and do not make it a control thing between the two of you
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• She's not ready. Period. Stop pushing or she will push back! It's not about you, it's about her. The worst thing you can do at this point is punish her for this!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• She's not ready
    best indicators: she hides everytime she defecates. she asks you to change her (wet or poo). she shows intense interest in what you are doing in the bathroom. she wants to go into the bathroom like mommy and daddy

when you have these indicators then you begin to toilet train. i like the three day method.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Honestly, if she's not ready, she's not ready. It's not about what you want, but what she is ready to do.

She is 2.5 and going potty is one of the things that she can control. Running away and hiding to go is about her control. And there isn't much you can do but look like it doesn't matter.

Also look for the signs that she is ready. The major ones being dry through long periods of time (like nap or while playing for a long time) and telling you that she has to potty.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• potty in the living room in front of the tv if she watches shows at all?

She won't poop in her diaper forever- I wouldn't push it too much right now. Too much pushing on them now makes it take longer.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• She's not ready. My daughter didn't train until she was 4. My son 3. When they were ready they showed signs and we went from there.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• waiting until she is ready- she will train in no time
    pushing when she is not, stress for you, and many accidents

try the end of summer
    and but some new BIG GIRL undies with favorite characters on them

if she hates it running down her leg- she will use the potty
    girls are usually better at this than boys, some boys enjoy the hose option way too much

ignore her control issues and attack again in a couple months
    Summer just starting, and depending on the weather in your area- naked potty training is best in warm moths

good luck, no worries- most children are not trained by age the parents state, and it is NOT a race
    there is NO cafemom award for earliest trained child :)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I agree if she is not ready she is not ready. she will do it on her own she's still little
    ccja2012

Answer by ccja2012 at 8:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• My son was the same way. He knew how to go potty on a toilet, but he refused. So I waited until he was 3; it's amazing what 6 months or more will do. It a world of difference.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Oh and I potty trained him the same way as fiatpax.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2013