Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

My parents house is still in my grandpa's name, he died 16 years ago....

I'm just wondering what can/will happen to the house? Dh says they never changed the name because of paying probate, but I have no idea. My mom was just court appointed a state guardian and my dad is worried about losing the house. Is that a possibility? Any info about this would be much appreciated!


Asked by Lobelia at 8:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Home & Garden

Level 21 (11,413 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I know when my dad died, his entire estate had to go through probate before we could do anything with his house whether it was keep it or sell it. I don't know your family's situation but if they were dodging probate for that long, it could be a problem. If the house was willed to them, they would have been able to change the name after the probate was over. They need an attorney who deals with estates.

    Answer by Izsarejman at 8:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

  • She NEEDS to talk to a Lawyer!!

    Answer by Crafty26 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

  • She should speak with a probate attorney to discuss her options.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 9:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

  • Depends on if the house was willed to them. If it will be an issue. Especiaily if they are not paying the property taxes on the house.

    Answer by louise2 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

  • Attorney.

    Answer by morebee7 at 12:12 AM on Jun. 11, 2013