Is $7.50 - $7.60 the standard starting salary for a cashier? Doesn't previous experience matter?

I've been out of the workforce for a few years and am now looking for a job. I just did an interview at a well know grocery store and was told that she only offers people $7.50 to start as a cashier and that after my 90 day probation I should see a slight increase in pay. I was in retail for years and left making $17/hr. So I was looking or thinking closer to $10 or $11. My previous experience wasn't even taken into consideration. Is that normal/right? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Money & Work

• Cashiers are a dime a dozen in this market. If you don't want the job, 800 other people do. Lowest bidder wins.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Previous experience doesn't matter much with a job like that. It doesn't take much training and anyone can and is willing to do it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Wow,,, thanks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• The current federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour, however some states have a higher minimum wage rate. check here... 

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/minimumwage/a/minimum-wage-rates.htm

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• In this economy, I'd guess you're probably stuck with the low end of the pay scale.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I was in retail for years and left making $17/hr.

wow, where was that? had no idea retail can make that much
    Anonymous

• What np said, you can turn it down but plenty of people will be in line behind you that will take it. 10-11 is not normal for a starting position. Plus companies will not pay that when they know people will work for less.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• If you're good you may have more opportunities when you get your foot in the door. GL
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Were you in a union shop last time around? That will make a difference.

Grocery cashiers tend to make better money than, say, WalMart cashiers. But even here in CA where minimum wage is $8/hr, I wouldn't expect to see a cashier making more than double that unless they were unionized and had years of seniority.

I'm afraid you're seeing the effect of having been out of the workforce. Past experience really rarely matters.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Minimume wage is $7.25 in the United States.

Answer by louise2 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2013