Shingles!!!

Has anyone had shingles? Can u give me the details on how long how u helped the pain etc...my dh was diagnosed this morning and put on antiviral meds but I'm wondering what to do to help the pain....thank you!!'

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 12:47 AM on Jun. 9, 2013 in Health

• The doctor didn't give him anything for the pain.

Answer by louise2 at 12:53 AM on Jun. 9, 2013

• I had them a few years ago. They're torture. It feels like your skin is falling off and burning with fresh lemon juice. I was pretty lucky, the pain only lasted the better part of a month, but it can go on longer. It also can flare up again even after the initial outbreak is cleared up, particularly in times of stress. Wearing loose clothing helps a lot, depending on where the outbreak is. I found that putting any kind of ointment on didn't help at all because touching the shingles negated the relief of the ointment. You can ask your doctor for topical pain patches that you peel and stick on the skin, which will help some, but time is the only real cure. Good luck; I don't envy your husband. If you have little ones, try hard to keep them from jumping on the place where the shingles are or running into it, because it's excruciating and if he snaps and yells at them for it, he's only human.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:57 AM on Jun. 9, 2013

• How old is he? I know three guys in their early 40s that got shingles. He should recover in a shorter amount of time if he's healthy and not 80 years old. You are looking at a month or so. You have to be really careful so nerve endings aren't harmed. He'll be okay but sorry to hear it. Nightmare....
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:50 AM on Jun. 9, 2013

• I had the shingles and it is painful. I took thisamitriptyline and within hours the pain was gone.

ARTICLE

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Jun. 9, 2013

• Thanks all...oddly they did not give him anything for pain :/....he is 43 and healthy so hoping it heals quickly!!
    calliesmommie

Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 8:20 AM on Jun. 9, 2013