My 6 year old broke a friends night guard.

i told the person i would pay to have it replaced. how long should my kid be in trouble for. and what should i do? and does anyone know how much it will cost to replace the night guards? they are from a dentist.

sierramc21

Asked by sierramc21 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 9, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Did he do it on purpose or was it an accident?
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 12:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• Shouldn't those been put up? Before I would even pay for them. I would want to know why they were not put up. And if he/she broke them on purpose of by accident.

Answer by louise2 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• im not sure. he says it was an accident. but i think he was just curious. and he broke the one and had the other one in his mouth and bent it. i know it was wrong but i just feel like my boyfriend is blowing it out of proportion. it was his cousin's who is in from Washington state. and he is making a big deal out of it too. i've already told them a million times over i'll replace them. i know they are going to cost a lot.
    sierramc21

Comment by sierramc21 (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• yes they should have been put up. but my boyfriends family are crazy! and the cousin is staying in my sons room. but my son did get in his bag and get them out.
    sierramc21

Comment by sierramc21 (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• i would ground for a week and have the kid do extra chores to help "Pay" for the device.
    and tell the cousin to STFU. yes, your kid did something wrong and YOU are going to discipline him.

what do these people expect you to do? beat the 6 yo? destroy him emotionally? never talk to the kid again?
    seriously, adults need to act like adults.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• Thank you! I told my son he has to sell his game system and games to help pay for night guards. I just don't know how to handle my boyfriend and his cousin. i mean yes he broke something that cost a lot of money. But its not the end of the world. there are people who have nothing. look at what happened in Oklahoma!! there are people who have nothing left and they
    sierramc21

Comment by sierramc21 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• I would not pay more than 1/2 of what the insurance doesn't cover. Yes your son broke them but it doesn't sound like the friend was taking care of his stuff.

Answer by missanc at 1:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• i guess the cousin doesn't have insurance. I think its fair that i write the check to the dentist. not to his cousin. what do you guys think?
    sierramc21

Comment by sierramc21 (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• Frankly, he's staying in your son's room. If he doesn't have enough common sense to put his crap out of a child's reach, I'd only offer to pay half. He's an adult, he should have known to put up an expensive medical device like that. Hell, my 9 yr old can tell you that!

As for your son, it sounds like it was an accident, but he was playing with something that didn't belong to him. I'd ground him for a week. Make him apologize, do a few chores. Then it's over.

If cousin doesn't like it, too fricking bad. If boyfriend doesn't like it, unless boyfriend is son's dad, tell boyfriend to kiss it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• Owe yea! If you are going to replace them. Tell them to get the bill. Send it to you so you can see what is being billed. You are just paying for the charges to replace those guards not extra dental work.
    Why isn't your boyfriend on your side on this?
    I would tell both of them to back off.

Answer by louise2 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2013