ear infection and teething

so my daughter is almost 7 months her doc said shes getting teeth but she also has a middle ear infection. she wont sleep like she noramlly does and i wouldnt blame her. but when itry to cuddle her she wants to wiggle out so i just lie there wit her and she either rolls away almost off the bed or scracthes me. i love my daughter and would go to the end of the world for her but i cant sit there for hours while she hurts me. isit ok to let her cry it out. i wont let it last to long but i feel horrible that shes in pain but she wont fall asleep even wit me.

SummerMom072208

Asked by SummerMom072208 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes you don't have a choice. My daughter is the same way. There is no consoling her and my presence can sometimes just make matters worse. Give her some motrin or advil for the pain (better than tylenol because it has an anti inflammatory). Then, give her a little while to work through it before you go into her room. Don't let her get super upset but if she is crying, not CRYING, then see if she'll cry herself to sleep. (Also - sleeping on an incline might help her ears drain and relieve some pressure...put a pillow under one side of her mattress)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:57 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• have you tried giving her tylenol or motrin or anything like that? I wouldn't advise letting her cry it out right now she is sick and in pain IMO it would just be a little mean to tell you the truth. how about asking someone else to watch her while you go get a few hours of rest.
    Anonymous

• No child should be left to cry it out. Prop her up. Hold her upright . Put her in her swing. It hurts her ears to lay flat. Giver her some tylenol and the meds prescribed by her doctor. But, no, it is not OK to let her cry. If you thought it was, you wouldn't be asking. Good luck and I hop you both feel better and ger some rest soon.
    EiEiO

Answer by EiEiO at 9:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It can definitely be tempting to let her CIO with the way she's responding. But since she's sick, I would try to stick it out and be there to comfort her. If she's hurting you when you lie down with her, you could try rocking her to sleep (or however you help her get to sleep) and then sitting next to her bed and rubbing her back/chest. Your presence will be very reassuring to her, even if it doesn't seem like it's helping. The physical touch will help release endorphins and serotinin to help her naturally deal with the discomfort and pain she's feeling. You could also try getting a sling to carry her in to help her fall asleep - we've used a Moby and an Ergo and love both.

I'm personally against CIO bc the stress of crying unattended actually does release stress hormones, which can interfere with cognitive development. I have a journal post on my page with a link to a Harvard study regarding CIO. Hang in there, Mama
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 9:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• you should just let her calm down for a little bit my daughter just got over an ear infection and she was really cranky but i just let her be cranky and held her she scratched me but when she was sleepy she could just lay down and put her self to sleep
    destinyfaithmom

Answer by destinyfaithmom at 11:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2009