Vomiting through the nose???

my dd(2.5 months old) just vomited and alot of it came through her nose, is this normal?? She literally projected vomit from her mouth and nose...and she spit up alot more than she normally does... What could be causing this, is there anything I can do to prevent it, and could it hurt her?

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 8:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes its normal the first time my lil girl done it i was soo scared,just use your snot sucker to clear out the rest of the puke
    sauna26

Answer by sauna26 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I hate it when that happens! Its scary! Yes, its normal but no fun for anyone. The only thing you can do is flip her onto her tummy to help it drain out. Unless she is having trouble breathing when it happens, then it is nothing to worry about. Sitting on an incline after a meal might help.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• What kind of bottles do you use? I use playtex with the holes in the bottom and my lil one barely ever spits up. I don't think it's not normal to come out the nose, ya know the whole spitting milk through the nose thing, I think it just happens sometimes.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 8:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• oh yeah it could be acid reflux that is what caused my lil girl to do it,and her doc can give her prevacid or something like it to help it stop
    sauna26

Answer by sauna26 at 8:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I don't use bottles, I breastfeed exclusively. Its never happened before like this, so its really scary for me, plus she's my first!...
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 8:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Iagree with sauna26. My son has reflux and isdoing the same exact thing. sit her up after a feeding. maybe sit her in the car seat so she won't be laying down and definetly call her pediatrician so she can get medication to help. My son is taking zantac. Good luck mama. It was scary as hell to me to the first time I saw it
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 9:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• sauna26
    yes its normal the first time my lil girl done it i was soo scared,just use your snot sucker to clear out the rest of the puke

Thats exactly whatI do.he hates it lol
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 9:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Spitting up is definitely normal, and if she was laying down or reclined, it would make sense for it to come through her nose. If your little one seems upset when they spit up, or if the projectile spit-up is frequent, then it's something to look into. There is a very rare stomach issue that can cause baby to projectile vomit very forcefully. Keep an eye on her and see if it happens again. Oh, and don't forget to gently help her burp. I was HORRIBLE at remembering to burp my son, he was always so sleepy and I hated waking him. But then he'd get a little gas bubble and end up spitting up all over. Oops!
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 9:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Could just be a touch of the flu is she only vommited that day and not every day. But my son spit up a lot, and at least out the nose once a day. And I tried all the tricks about feeding him upright and not laying him down for half hour after. I just recently switched his formula to the enfamil prosobe, its soy, and he is doing much much better. Still spits up but nothing like he did. But my doc told me spit up out the nose is completely normal, and of coarse its gona hurt um a bit. Just use the snot sucker as soon as possible so it doesnt affect breathing.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 1:51 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• if it happens any more, have her checked for GERD (reflux). my dd had it really bad until 11 months. she had bad projectile vomiting and would get choked to the point of not breathing. there are medications that can help if necessary, and sleeping wedges designed to help with gerd. i know it's scary...just be sure to keep a bulb syring with you at all times (even in the diaper bag, etc.) just in case you need it. i kept one nearby at all times and had to use it a lot. good luck.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2009