Potty training charts question

ok so I have 3 kids (girls) my first was potty trained at 19 months old she didn't care about rewards as much as praise so I didn't realy use nothing for her but praise. She is now 8. My middle dd was potty trained at 21 months old. She loved the praising, but she wanted a reward as well so we went with the m&ms. My youngest (and last baby) is 22.5 months old we tried with gummies and with m&ms and she didn't really care for it then we went with praise (well we did that anyway with candy but this time just the praise) even though she loved the attention she didn't really care so we as of this morning moved onto the potty chart where she gets a sticker each time she pees (if she poops it will be 2), well this morning she has been going all morning in which one of them she sat on the potty all by herself without telling me and peed so as of right now it is going really well but my question is (since i never used the sticker chart) do I just keep letting her put stickers on the chart or do I get her a small toy or something after so many stickers? If so after how many stickers?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2013 in General Parenting

• I have a 2 and 1/2 yr old daughter who is still not potty trained. How did you get yours to be trained so early??? So if this was my daughter, I would definitely buy her a toy at the end of the week. :)
    Nicollea

Answer by Nicollea at 2:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• If she's loving the stickers and responding to them alone, go with it. If the stickers lose their charm and you need something more for motivation, buy a toy and really hype it up that you're going to give her a surprise after she gets so many stickers. I tend to believe in using as little external motivation as a situation needs so you can always add more if you have to. If you go all out at the start, what do you do later on?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• id get her something small at the end of the week if she keeps it up. it could be anything from a lollipop to a small toy.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• To the first poster. I actually have a journal on my wall on how I potty trained cause I had a lot of people ask me that same question lol. Once I started no matter how hard it was I kept going cause I believe going back and forth will confuse them I am with them 24/7 which makes it a lot easier as well and ONLY undies at home and diapers for bed and nap time never bought pull ups to much like diapers and a waste of money. Lots of naked time as well lots of clean up but worth it.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• To the second poster. I was wondering that too lol. But us as of now she loves the stickers idea but it is only day 1. But I wasn't sure if I should give her something to work toward so I will just do stickers if she keeps wanting that
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• My apartment has full carpet everywhere, which is different shades of dark brown. That is why I never tried to put her in regular underwear or just a T-Shirt, because if she goes potty I'm sure she would tell me there is water on her legs, but I would not see it in the house and have no idea where she went. Even if she points it out to me and I clean the top surface, the urine is still in the underneath layers and it would start to smell. That is my fear of letting it run down their legs in regular underwear.
    Nicollea

Answer by Nicollea at 3:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• If she's responding to just stickers, then that's great and I would just leave it at that. We always used immediate rewards because little ones in general don't do as well if they have to wait for their reward (we used m&ms for my youngest 2, honey buns for my oldest - he has autism and was hard to train! - and just praise for my middle 2).
    Nicollea - they have cotton training pants at walmart that is thicker and more absorbent than regular underwear, but still feels wet when they go.

Answer by missanc at 4:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• that isa what we use...the cotton training pants.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 7:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2013