My husband said he feels like an old man and is bummed. What would you say?

He got in from a trip with the Boy Scouts. He is a leader. They went on a 10 mile hike on the Appalachian Trail. He went with his group of teen boys and 2 assistant leaders(both in their 20's). Anyway, towards the end, he needed to go at a slightly slower pace than the others. So the one assistant scout leader went ahead with the boys, while the other hiked with him. They all finished the 10 mile hike!

My husband is 52 years old. We are active and hike often, but i guess we go slower than a bunch of young people. I don't know what the big deal is, but he's very upset with himself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2013 in Relationships

• Tell him he is awesome!! My husband who is only a few years older gave up doing things like that years ago! Your hubby is in great shape. What can you do?? The young ones have more energy. That's life. Kudos to him.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• shit, i couldnt hike ten miles and i'm 26. tell him to be proud of himself, sure he got tired, but who wouldn't? he might not have the stamina of the younger men and the kids but he did damn good.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• I was going to say, I'm ten years younger than your husband and the only way I would have finished that hike as if someone took me piggyback. Tell him he's doing great for 52.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• Tell him he did a great job, but if he's interested in being more fit you are willing to work out with him! My husband is 45 and still hangs with a bunch of 20 year olds, but only because he is consistent with working out.

Answer by missanc at 4:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• My man who is 63 is the same way, things aren't what they use to be, he complains about the insults of getting old and I remind him that he should feel privilege he got to old age...

Answer by older at 4:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• Oh and I forgot to mention that I also remind him that the alternative to old age is dying!

Answer by older at 4:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• give him a few blow jobs
    he will be feeling better in no time

* now, anon or not

hmmmmm?
    what the hell
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• Tell him that life happens. 52 is NOT old but it's more than twice the age of the other participants. It's time he got real.

Sorry, but I have no patience with men who have seen too many Harrison Ford, Sean Connery, etc. movies and who believe them! LOL

winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:36 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• Ask him if he enjoyed the journey. I'm betting he did, regardless of how long it took him to get to the finish line. He made it & that's more than a lot of people younger than him could probably say. And he sounds like an involved dad, which is more than a lot of men could probably say as well. And I guess when all else fails, pitty sex will help boost his spirits- assuming he has some energy left! lol :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• ok
    no one liked my answer

here is a deal
    give the hubby an awesome BJ, and see if he has a spring in his step after

i will bet you a cafemom coffee mug, he is smiling after and forgets about being 'old'
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2013