Beware of Chicken Run!

Cute movie, but beware of showing it to your little ones! Mine watched it earlier today, and said, "Aw, I didn't know eggs made baby chickens! They're so adorable! Mama, we can't eat eggs anymore!" Scrambled and hard-boiled eggs are her best go-to protein sources. She also just refused turkey on her quesadilla because it was sad in the movie when the mean farm lady wanted to turn the chickens into pies. Aaaagh!

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 7:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2013 in General Parenting

• My kids know exactly where their eggs and meat originate. We have a flock of chickens in our yard for eggs. And they have seen and helped with the slaughter of chickens and lamb. Then again, we aren't really a normal family in that respect. Especially when my 8 yr. old comes home from a friends ranch and said I got to dissect a lamb heart and I brought home one to eat!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• I accidentally did something like this to my daughter. She would eat butter. Just take bites out of the butter. So I told her that too much fat was bad for her, and she needed to not just eat big hunks of butter. Somehow this translated in her mind to all fats will kill you, and she refused to eat anything with fat in it, and she would ask before she ate anything if it had fat in it. It took 2 years to convince her that some fat was ok.  

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 7:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• Could you explain to her that the eggs you eat don't turn into chickens? Not sure if her age but just tell her the mommy chicken (or actually daddy chicken)as to do something special to them to make the baby chicks in there? I didn't eat eggs when I was little either until someone explained that to me.

Answer by missanc at 8:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• Just explain that the eggs can only grow into baby chickens if there is a daddy chicken and the eggs we buy at the store were laid without a daddy chicken.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 3:09 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• When my boys were really little, I found it easier just to tell them that because the eggs were refrigerated, they couldn't turn into baby chickens. When they got older, we got more into detail about how and why eggs turn into chickens and why the ones we eat don't.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• I told my DD that the eggs we buy at the store aren't fertilized and can't become chicks. She knew what mating was from nature documentaries.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Lord, now she wants to know why the eggs we buy at the store don't have baby chicks in them.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Jun. 9, 2013