If you lost weight while prgnant then gained weight back to you count all the weight you gained or just from your pre-baby weight?

I have a couple of friends that said they only gained 10 pounds while pregnant but they lost a lot of weight in the beginning(like 20 pounds) and then ended up 20 pounds above their prebaby weight. To me that's a gain of 40 pounds because they gained what they lost and then some more weight and they werre huge before they gave birth(i'm not saying that to be insensitive) but they didn't look like they gained as much(or little) as they claim to have gained. So what do you count?

paula405

Asked by paula405 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I lost 12lbs at the begining of my pregnancy and when I gained that 12 lbs back they called it a weight gain of 0 lbs. So they go off of your pre pregnancy weight:)
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 9:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I'm like you, I don't get how women will say "Oh, I didn't gain any weight." The baby and placenta, etc. alone weighs in at 20 lbs. that would mean that you had to lose at least that much to not have gained any. My midwife said this usually happens to women who were already overweight and encouraged to lose some while pregnant (or at least not gain any more). I often think women fib. I personally am going off my pre-pregnancy weight (101) and now weigh 130 at 37 weeks, so I've gained about 30 lbs. When (if) I lose it all after the baby , I will still tell people that I gained 30 lbs. while pregnant. It baffles me too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I agree. If you lose weight and then gain it back and then some you're still gaining.
    paula405

Answer by paula405 at 7:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2009