Dealing with Aging Parents

My boyfriend got home tonight. I was glad to see him, but he barely made it through the front door before he was in tears. He's a watchmaker, has been for over twenty years. He said the hardest moment was when he realized his mom couldn't remember how to tell time anymore.

He brought home a few memories. A clown suit that his mom had sewed and everyone in his family had worn at some point for Halloween A plaster of paris handprint he had made for his mom when he went to kindergarten in 1964. It lets you know what's really important in life.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:58 AM on Jun. 10, 2013 in Relationships

• Yeah it does...

I went home for the first time in over a month since my Mom passed in April and boy was it hard. To not see her sitting at the table and listening to her gripe about the doctors. I never knew how much I would miss that until it wasn't there anymore. So sorry for him because it is tough.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• It is very hard to deal with an aging parent, my mom is 94 and she is like a child sometimes or most times. I have been taking care of her for 28 years now since my dad unexpectedly passed away. It takes a lot of patience, and I am under stress all the time, because she falls very often and refuses to use a cane or any other aid, her balance is gone most of the times....but I am so glad she is still with me.

Answer by older at 7:03 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• I've recently moved with my parents so I can watch out for my mom. She's 66, and while she still thinks she's young, she really isn't. Her hearing is going and she's been getting more and more forgetful. It's awful watching your parents become elderly.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:36 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• On a side note, you should be proud of yourself for dealing with things while he was gone. From what you said, the only major things you had to deal with w/out him was a broken microwave plate & a dau that cried wolf! :p I knew you'd be fine :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:40 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• I took care of my Mother and its painful to see them change for the worse but its rewarding to take care of the one who took care of you.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:29 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Hey Ballad! This has been chosen as question of the day! It's highlighted on the right side of answers!
    I think you're the first to be chosen!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Yes it does.

My mother is fairly healthy meaning she can function on her own and isn't very old yet. But she has COPD and other serious issues including Hep. C(which she contracted as a lab tech in the Army when she was accidently stuck by a patients needle). She can't have general anesthesia because her heart is too weak and she will not wake up from it, so any health issue that may happen which would require general anesthesia could kill her.

Which is why my son spends so much time with her, he is there right now. Plus he said HE "needed a vacation" lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Yup, it's a difficult situation when you finally realize your parents are aging. My mother lost about 75% of her hearing in one ear and about 50% in the other. She can't afford hearing aids, according to her. I haven't checked on it yet. She drives me crazy on the phone because she just can't hear. I usually have to relay through my dad...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:37 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Awww, hugs for you both. To him for dealing with all of this & to you for helping him thru it. We always think of our parents as having super-natural powers, our protectors. When reality sits in & we realize they are mere mortals & they have frailties, it's a hard pill to swallow. He will need you for strength to get thru this very difficult time. GL to you both.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:38 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• FYI: I did find out that your local Lion's Club will help out with hearing aids....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2013