Random questions but curious&open to opinions.

So recently my husband&I added a bird feeder to our yard to attract some feathered wild life&because we heard they can actually help with bugs&there are some doves who for some reason won't perch on the feeder&I don't understand why they won't so we leave some on the ground. Also there's this one dove that has been coming every day only to chase around the other dove?? Any opinions on why the doves won't perch on the feeder like the other birds&why is one dove chasing another?I know these are random but I just want opinions. The good thing is though my daughter enjoys looking at all the colorful birds when they visit. She smiles when they're in the yard which makes me a haply mom. :)

12littlemomma18

Asked by 12littlemomma18 at 3:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I have your answer to why the bird chases around the other bird. When a bird or any animal acts like that, the one doing the chasing is trying to claim dominance which means one male chases another male to claim that area or the female chases another female to claim a area. As for the perching problem I don't know but great questions!

Hope I helped:-)
    rls113

Answer by rls113 at 3:23 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• We have some doves here. I *think* they eat bugs and worms from the ground and have no interest in bird seed. The ones we have around here are always on the ground, whether they're in our yard or any other. We have some forest behind our place, too, and even in there, we often see them on the ground, not up in the trees.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:05 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• My grandmother raises doves and has always had a feed pan on the ground, they are more like chickens in their pecking.
    and I agree that the chasing is a dominance
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:40 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Doves don't perch... plain and simple. They will eat the seed on the ground the other birds knock down or that you leave, or they will disturb the feeder to drop seed (if they get smart enough to figure that one out), but they won't perch and eat.
    AND they are messy eaters!
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Doves are ground birds. They mostly peck in the dirt for soft seeds. They also don't eat the same hard-shelled seeds that many other birds enjoy, so they probably look for dropped ones from the feeder. If you want to attract doves--don't do it if there are neighborhood cats because doves are slow and easy prey--get seed especially formulated for soft-billed birds like doves and quail.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2013