Do any of you have Netflix? Does it raise your Internet bill?

I'm thinking of purchasing Netflix, but I want to make sure it doesn't make my Internet bill outrageous. Please let me know your experience! :)

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 10:00 AM on Jun. 10, 2013 in Entertainment

• Thanks, NP.. That is correct.

Once you do figure out what to do about the internet, there are other options besides Netflix, too. HULU is partially free and has a subscription service. There's also Amazon Prime - yearly flat rate, free streaming on a lot of shows and movies, some as they are broadcast, like Downton (plus free shipping on everything you do on regular Amazon). Depending how much you'll use it, those might be options for you, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:05 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• If you live in the US, your internet bill should be a flat rate each month. It will not raise your bill. What it might do is have your internet throttled at the end of the month, where your upload and download speeds are intentionally slowed by the ISP because you've exceed your monthly bandwidth allotment. Unless you have a very archaic restriction, or you're also pirating illegal movie and music downloads, that shouldn't be an issue, but some people don't realize they have very restrictive plans (chosen because of the lower price).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:03 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• you have to pay for the netflix- but it shouldn't raise your internet bill...unless you have limits on how much you can do
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:05 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• What kind of internet is it - DSL or cable or something else? It sounds like your best bet, with or without netflix, is to find a new one.

To me it sounds like she is using one of those internet "hot spot" devices.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• If you travel for work a lot use the free wifi offered at hotel stays etc. and that should cut down on the usage of your hotspot device.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:28 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• my internet is a flat rate so Netflix & Hulu havent changed the price. all i know is that im able to run my laptop, DH's desktop computer, and Netflix at the same time without any drag.

sorry im not more help.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:01 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• It doesn't raise mine but it sucks a lot of the GB from it. Once it hits the MAX GB I have it just slows down. I don't have to pay anything extra. I have Century link
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• call your service and ask them what happens when you exceed the 4G
    LostSoul88

• Double check your bill to make sure, but afaik, there are no US companies that charge extra for overage, just throttle bandwidth. It's not like cell roaming or anything like that.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:09 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:15 AM on Jun. 10, 2013