Do you think our government really cares about our health, safety and security?

Just thinking about this the other day about how we are such a capitalist country, that it seems the only thing that matters to the government is money. They don't care if we can afford healthcare or can find ways to stay healthy longer. All they care about is that we pay the bills and keep money in their pockets. I'm so goddamn sick of it! I'm sick of being a one out of a million people in this country that don't matter to the government. You can sit there and tell me to vote come election. Well...the truth is I do vote, but does my vote really make a difference? Does it matter who is in office or congress? They're never going to make decisions based on what is good for the people. They make decisions based on what is good for their checking accounts. Want me to move? Sure. I'll move. Just as soon as I find that great job after I graduate college that probably won't be out there, pay off my student loans (which will probably take me til I die of old age) and then maybe I'll consider moving to another country just so YOU don't have to hear my complaints about this one. Face it. This country has failed us all. The government doesn't give a shit about us!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jun. 10, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• sidesplittinglaughter

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Security, yes. The rest is not their job. We've tried to make it their job, increasingly over the years, but it's still not supposed to be their job. The responsibilities of government are to PROVIDE for common defense and PROMOTE the general welfare and preserve freedom. It's a bit like shoving a bear into your bathroom, then getting mad when he misses the toilet. He's supposed to be in the woods.

(and now Schoolhouse Rock is stuck in my head)

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:38 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• The government entity wishes for power and control. Nothing more. The push the envelope no matter what party is in power. This is why I believe any of the candidates that really want a smaller, less intrusive and less powerful government (less powerful in the way it treats its citizens and commerce) will never be voted in. Instead they are painted as idiots, extremists, or whatever the powers that be need different demographics to believe to keep them in their place.

Go ahead and complain all you want. Ultimately it doesn't matter anyway. Our economy continues to suffer from bad management. Even if there were interest in fixing it, you wouldn't see results for a long time.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:40 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• rolling on floor

Hell no they don't 

LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:09 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• No
    ALEMama

Answer by ALEMama at 11:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Of course they don't. The only ones they care about are the politicians. So if you aren't in that category you are pretty much SOL.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• They care about being reelected and their power base.
    They are interfering in things they were never meant to but it is was some people want.
    The squeaky wheel gets the oil.
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• they care...about getting re-elected. the Founding Fathers never planned for career politicians and its pretty easy to see why.

the country didnt fail you tho. they gave you a loan for school...you could have not gone to college and racked up so much debt. or worked thru college and taken less out in loans. instead do you want them to cancel your loan? cause thats not better for us in the long run. Americans are selfish, why do we expect our politicians not to be?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• I think there are some workers in the government who care, but the government as a whole isn't capable of caring. It's a huge, cumbersome machine. Asking "the government" to care about anything is like asking the big green tractor tearing up a field to feel bad about, or even notice, when it rips the top off a rabbit's burrow and grinds up the babies in its massive teeth. The tractor rolls on, oblivious to the tragedy. If someone points out the blood on the blades, it's shrugged off as a small price to pay for progress.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• "Security, yes.."NP
    And they are not doing much better there either.

"This country has failed us all. The government doesn't give a shit about us"OP
    Are you just coming into that realization? Its been this way way before Obama. And he is not helping it either. Spending money on bullshit things, and taxpayers are the ones who suffers.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2013