How do i increase my breastmilk?

cindyodopson

Asked by cindyodopson at 9:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oatmeal, cookies, by itself, apple crisp, ect. Also Fenugreek suppliments/tea. They have mother's milk tea as well.
    Good luck!!!
    Also, if you're not nursing on demand, try it. (Not sure how old your LO is.) Nursing whenever they're hungry if possible could bring your supply up to what the require.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 9:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I see youre new to Cafemom. Sign up for the "Breastfeeding Moms" group. There is an ongoing post with about 500+ posts on ways to increase your breastmilk. The number one is always to ahve your baby nurse as often as possible. But there are more on that list. good luck to ya.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• The best way to increase your supply is to nurse baby on demand. Every time your nurse, it tells your body "baby needs more milk!" and your breasts keep on working. You might even consider getting a sling to you can wear baby, or spending a day just sitting (in bed or on a comfy couch) with baby skin to skin. The skin to skin contact will give baby a chance to nurse as much as they want, and will help kick your girls into high-gear! :)

Also, check out www.kellymom.com - it's my FAVORITE BF website, and helped me keep my sanity when I was first nursing my little boob monkey.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 9:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Drink a beer. There is something in brewers yeast.. I did it and I pumped 8 oz AND fed my baby in one sitting - then I never had any problems - (I swear I am part bovine along with my German, Scandinavian heritage!)
    PS for all of you gasping in horror a nurse told me to try this. As did a nurse tell my mother to try this after she had my youngest brother.
    AligirlP

Answer by AligirlP at 9:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Breastfeeding tea in the box with purple on it, i think medicine naturals is the brand, and surely there are others. Also, i used raspberry leaf (loose) tea and overhauled my diet. Find a natropathic doctor (ND) who can do a diet just for you and lactation consultants. Water and this tea and rice milk was pretty much all i drank, and lots of it. Message me if you need to find some good vitamin/mineral supplements, which i used with great success for two kids instead of the prescription pre-natals, which should be continued in increased amounts just like during pregnancy. Diet should be high in fiber, which means fresh fruit and veggies, grains and go with wild fish and natural chicken, cut the junk and eat often!
    elizapark

Answer by elizapark at 9:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• The absolute best way to increase supply is to nurse more frequently. The more frequently and more completely the breasts are drained, the more milk you will make. Beer is an old wives tale. "A common folk remedy for low milk supply is to drink a glass of ale or beer (both contain hops) to increase supply. However, current studies indicate that alcoholic beverages do not increase milk production and, in fact, can lead to baby getting less milk" Daily consumption of alcohol while nursing is probably not the best idea, even if it is fairly small amounts.

More info at "Beer: Can it really help low milk supply?"

http://parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/nbreastfeed/0,,3x1m,00.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I used Fenugreek and I ate oatmeal.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 10:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i was told to drink more fluids to make sure you have enough to pump. drink as much as possible
    rashesh

Answer by rashesh at 10:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i am going thru the same thing...I have started eating oatmeal in the morning and sometimes at nite. I take a supplement called More Milk Plus and also Mothers Milk Organic Tea and just drink a lot of water.....I can't nurse on demand during the day b/c my DD has 2 very sharp teeth and apparently thinks I am a chew toy. and instead of making our life miserable and fighting it I just pump during the day and nurse at nite....I know a lot of people don't agree with it but it's what works for us and makes it enjoyable. I don't want feeding time to become a miserable event. Good Luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It is a supply and demand kind of thing The more you nurse or pump the more milk you will make. It really is that simple.
    shabrown907

Answer by shabrown907 at 11:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2009