Your thoughts on this?

I know what love is, and "God" is its antithesis.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jun. 10, 2013 in Religious Debate

• It is a good point. If a human parent did those things, we would be all over them, claiming they were selfish, awful, and even abusive, we'd be putting them on trial for killing their kid. But when it's some kind of god, you're supposed to just go "Oh, okay, that makes sense." and think it's great and wonderful. Seems a bit silly to me.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:44 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• in regards to the Christian god, I agree.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Ignoring that it again sets up the false dichotomy that everyone on earth must be either Christian or Atheist, despite 65% of us being neither, the sentiment is correct.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• erg .....

I was raised to simply NOT disobey or distrust the lord. So I am finding myself stifling my opinions on that statement. It makes some good points.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• I agree, yet also disagree.

I am a Christian, but not all Christians fit into the little box or believe the same doctrines. So I also believe in love without believing in murdering someone for vengeance or atonement, hell, wrath, or any of that. I could never be that KIND of Christian. So while I understand this graphic represents one individual's experience, not everyone has the same experience in faith or comes to the same conclusions, even if many of us reject the same premises or accept the same values. If that makes sense. I have no qualms being a Christian because the picture that graphic paints isn't MY version of Christianity. So people can find value and love in the Christian faith, and some people find it elsewhere. I might agree that that version of Christianity displayed in the graphic isn't one I like, but I disagree it's the only face Christianity has to offer, if you get what I mean :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2013

• I think it's nicely said.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• I also agree & disagree w/ this description. I think the main point is that people are supposed to live life right. Live life unselfishly. Don't cheat on your spouse, don't steal from others, treat others as you'd want them to treat you, etc. Some people draw strength from this picture of a greater good, others view it as more of a dictator telling them to do what he wants or they will be punished. To each their own. Guess I just feel that if you are a believer, then you have a right to believe, & if you are a non-believer then you have that right as well.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 12:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2013