I did not know that bunnies could cry...

My dad's rabbit had a litter in the chicken cope and recently the bunnies were weaned and he now has them in separate cages and they can eat pellets, so....like the insane parent that I am lol I decided to get one of them for my kids. My son, loves the bunny and he is great with it, my daughter well...not so much lol. The bunny is 6 weeks old and still pretty scared poor lil thing. So my daughter who has autism wanted to the hold the bunny after watching her younger brother sitting so nicely and holding the bunny in his lap I decided to let her try.
The first time the bunny moves my daughter started screaming so I quickly scooped the bunny up and held him on my chest to calm him down and calm my daughter who was still freaking out lol
As I am holding the bunny he is staring at me with these wide, terrified black eyes and making this soft little whimpering sound like a puppy lol It was so cute but at the same time I felt sorry for the little guy. I put him back in his cage and he hoped under his little wicker hut and hide lol
I had no idea that bunnies could cry or did cry. Has anyone ever had a pet rabbit and heard it cry?

AnonNdrag

Asked by AnonNdrag at 3:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2013 in Pets

• You probably won't like this story, but the 1 & only time my dad went rabbit hunting w/ some friends, he heard a bunny cry. He said that was enough for him & never went hunting again.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Bunnies are not great for kids- they can literally be scared to death and they can break thier backs if you try to hold them and don't want to get away. Just so you know.

My daughters bunnie (she is 19) never made any crying noise like that
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Ive heard a rabbit cry once. I wont share that story though...too sad.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 4:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Our bunny never cried but he was a very happy little guy. Unfortunately he passed away one night and don't really know why.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Bunnies are very emotive. I had a Netherland Dwarf rabbit for a number of years. They can also get so stressed they have easily die.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Rabbits make a heart-wrenching squealing sound when they die. I can't bring myself to eat the meat for that reason.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• My dad raises rabbits to butcher and eat, of course I don't want to torture the poor thing or have it die but I figure this way it has a fighting chance lol. I keep it in my room at night and I don't allow my kids to hold it or mess with it unless I am supervising them. It's still a baby so I am hoping when it gets older it will be more used to being a pet but its not the typical pet type of rabbit like a lop eared or anything. It is cute though and I like cuddling with it. We have had it 2 days and so far it seems very affectionate.
    AnonNdrag

Comment by AnonNdrag (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2013