Worse mommy ever!!!

So my kids were outside yesterday for 3-4 hours playing in the sun and getting wet. I only put lotion on them once before they went out. After we left (we were at my parents visiting with my uncle who came from out of town) and my DD who has the fair complexion was RED on her entire back and chest where her swimsuit wasn't covering and my DS is mostly tanned he has a olive complexion but burned a little. I feel so horrible. They have never had a bad sunburn before.
I am already putting aloe vera on it and making sure they drink plenty of water and taking cool baths. Can you suggest anything else I can do to ease their pain?
They are not going outside for the next couple days but I feel so horrible.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Put vinegar in a spray bottle and keep it in the fridge. Spritz on the sunburn when it gets painful. Not the best smell, but It takes the fire out of the burn.

And let's put this in perspective. WhenI saw "Worst mommy ever!!!" in Kids' Health, I thought the post was going to be a news story about some stupid bitch who stuffed her kid in the washing machine and put it on the cold cycle as a punishment or told him to suck it up and deal with a broken bone instead of taking him to the doctor, or had him on bread and water for two weeks, or some other awful thing. Accidentally having your kids get sunburned hardly makes you a bad mom, much less the worst one ever. If you want that title, you'll have to get a lot more cruel and creative. *Smile.*
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Stuff happens, we are human & I'm betting it would've been a struggle to make them stop playing to reapply. If this is the 1st time, I'm sure you won't let it happen again. We keep the aloe in the fridge to help sooth when it's applied. I mix it w/ a little lotion in my hand so it's not too sticky. Noxzema works good too. I'm betting Popsicles will win them over too :p  But don't beat yourself up mama!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• I despise sunburns!!!! Coconut oil? I wont say breastmilk. ;)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Vinegar
    and meh- it happens...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• DS went to the beach yesterday and even though they reapplied sunscreen a couple of times he is still pretty red. Not in too much pain though, he just refuses to wear a shirt. Aloe helps. Don't beat yourself up. I think most kids get at least one bad sunburn in their lives.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• The aloe you get in the store isn't very good. I have real aloe plants. It works a hellova lot faster. You are not the worst mommy ever. My oldest child is read headed like me and my youngest is blonde and fair skinned. My stepdaughter doesn't get burned (lucky her) and it does happen every once in a while. Especially when they are playing in the water, sun screen needs to be reapplied every 45 minutes to an hour. My sister in law was keeping my kids and they were playing outside with hers. She sun screened my little ginger child but the baby was just going to play on the porch (before she was walking) and she thought she would be shaded. Turns out, my little girl can get burned in the shade. My sil felt so badly I couldn't even be mad at her. I was trying to brush her hair and she was crying "Hurts mama!" and my sil started crying "I'm so sorry baby!"
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• been there :( not bad mommy. and if ur like me then you'll never forget again
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Aloe, vinegar is good. As a redhead I burn a lot. Advil will help with the inflammation and benadryl will help with itching
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2013