Traveling With Plants....

A friend asked me to post this. She is moving on Wednesday and she has an Aloe plant. She wants to know if it is safe to put the plant in a plastic bag and tie it up so that it doesn't spill dirt all over the car. She is traveling from Georgia to Illinois and she doesn't want to make a mess in the rental car. Would she need to open it from time to time to let the thing breath?

EDIT: Safe for the plant, not for them. She doesn't want to kill her plant. I just wanted to make that clear

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2013 in Home & Garden

• It would probably be better if you should the pot in a box and let the plant breathe.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 3:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• i'd use cheese cloth to enclose it. Tie it at the top

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• She is going to put it in a box but she needs to do something to make sure it doesn't spill. She is traveling with friends in a rental car and they do not want dirt everywhere. She is already pushing it with the pets.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• I would put it in an open-topped box, and just be careful to sandwich the box between other items so it stays in place.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Enclosing the plant in a plastic bag won't be good for it at all because heat and condensation will get trapped inside. If that's the only way, then put small holes near the top of the bag for the heat to escape, and make sure the box with the plant is kept out of the direct sun in as cool a place as possible.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• I agree with all of the above ^. Also, I have found in my multi-state moves, it is easier to buy a new plant in the new location. Plants never travel very well - but an aloe might do ok.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• I wouldn't shut off air from the plant but stabilize and keep from hot sun.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 11, 2013