What is the proper response if your child tells you he/she is gay?+

But for someone who is almost 19, has been depressed (and no one wants to hang out with them for any length of time), and has bailed on all of their responsibilities for the last 6 months...tough place.

Instinct is to say, "It makes no difference what you are. We love you and just want you to be successful"....

What is right, proper, or is there no real perfect response, esp. under the circumstances.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• " "It makes no difference what you are who you love . We love you and just want you to be successful happy and fulfilled"

Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Ok
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• How about, 'we love you no matter what, we just want you to be HAPPY.'
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• I think what you wrote is fine.. I don't see it as a big deal, so I would be like ok..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• "Ok. I don't care. As long as your happy.. I love you"

All that stuff you mentioned about responsibilities etc., shouldn't change how you respond.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 5:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Yeah being gay and irresponsible are two different things..but maybe he is depressed because he doesn't feel accepted....I told my child, you are my child first and the rest can go to hell.....

Answer by older at 5:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• The perfect response is "that's nice, what do you want for dinner?" It shouldn't be a big deal to begin with if you've demonstrated that you love your child unconditionally their entire life.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• You could tell them you appreciate how hard it must've been for them to finally say it aloud, but show them that you love them & that they should'n't have waited so long, since your love for them will not change, no matter what.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• For me, it would be, "Okay. You want pizza for dinner?" I have many gay friends and a gay relative or two. I've raised my sons to understand that gay, straight, or bi, I will love you no matter what, and there is no reason to be ashamed or scared. I've taught them that a person's sexual orientation, just like the color of their skin, doesn't matter.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2013