How would ask people to do this. . . ?

i work at a church clothes closet and live in an apartment complex. i see them throwing or destroying furniture that someone else may need but can't afford.

would you tell them about the church (who really would love your donations of stuff you're planning on getting rid of) ) or just let it go?

just wondering on your thoughts. we're running a very tight budget right now that i take everything the kids out grow there and get the sizes they are in now.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I see your point but at the same time, you never know if they are throwing it out because of a rat or bug infestation. I agree with TNT to see about posting a sign somewhere to let people know about the church taking donations. I too would rather donate something or give it to someone I know that could use it rather than just throw it away.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 5:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• You could tell them and also ask about posting a sign somewhere in the complex that advertises it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Does your church pick up items? That could make the difference from something being recycled vs. trashed.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• I'd post a sign near the trash and also on a bulletin board near the office or something, if you can. Especially if your church picks up items because some of the people might not have the means to transport furniture anywhere. Sadly, a lot of stuff gets thrown out because people are moving and don't know what to do with it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Can't hurt to ask if you can put up a sign or something :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• If your church has a non-profit designation, the donors could get a tax benefit too.
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 6:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• we have three people with trucks (myself included) that does pick ups on big donations. one of the trucks has an enclosed trailer that they bring too. i've just given the office some fliers and i posted them in the laundromat down the street.
    i didn't think about them having bugs
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 5:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Post a sign and hand out flyers.
    Mermaid65

Answer by Mermaid65 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• oh yeah the woman in charge makes sure she asks if they want the slip as soon as she's told they dropped off stuff. i'm just a staff member and right now i've got two neighbors who have been giving me stuff to donate. they have been talking to their friends and family to do the same thing and i've even dropped fliers off to different schools about our clothes closet. we work with a group that helps people who lost their homes. it's not red cross but a local group that is like red cross.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2013