Do you ever feel a little embarrassed by the stuff you believed before you had your kids?

Even worse I showed it too my friends and they bought it. I used to be very in to the whole natural childbirth. I watched the business of being born and bought it(I'm really embarrassed about that one). I was a rapid lactivist for awhile.

Well reality hit me like a rock. I'm a c-section mom who honestly can't pass even a small baby through my pelvis, even with walking and squatting. I had the baby honest to goodness lactose intolerant baby with extreme allergies.

Also sometimes a swat on the butt(outside of the clothing,with your hand and if your hand hurts after your hitting too hard) works really well for my son. Honestly it is just one swat on the butt and it works better then any amount of trying time out or talking to a 3 year old worked.
I was always sure that it didn't work and I didn't want to be my parents(who did go a bit too far with spanking).

Is there anything you used to believe or worse be really passionate about that hit you and made you think and question your beliefs about parenting?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 10:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• Hmmm.... I probably had no idea about public tantrums. They happen to ALL kids. No matter HOW you parent!!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• I used to babysit a lot, especially as a teenager. I used to think that having my own child wouldn't be much different. I thought I could handle it because I babysat so much. While the experience I gained from babysitting did help, it was nothing compared to having my own. I was never really had a soap box issue I gave up on. It ticked me off when I saw other children, even kids my age, so spoiled and entitled that I promised that my kids were never going to be that way. I would teach them to work for what they wanted and to appreciate what they had. I am teaching my kids manners and respect and, for the most part, I have stayed with that. my kids aren't perfect but the are, in general, very well behaved.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• I didn't get on the soapbox too much, but I secretly used to wonder how people could get so downright furious with their kids. I'd hear rage in their voice, even if they weren't yelling or hitting, and think, "Damn, she's just a child! Get a grip!" I love my little girl more than I've ever loved anyone or anything, hands down, but she truly knows how to push my buttons and piss me off. Sometimes I hear anger in my own voice, and I feel bad for judging anyone because your kid knows how to get your goat better than anybody.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2013

• Really, the only thing that's embarrassing is how much faith I used to put in doctors. I've learned that they too are human and make mistakes.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I didn't know you could love them so much!
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 13, 2013