My 2 month old might have influenza B...What should I do?

So I just found out that my sister in-law just went to the hospital and has influenza B...she was around my daught on saterday night, and all day Sunday. IM FREAKING OUT. I guess she had it all weekend and symptoms dont show up right away...
The Dr.s office is closed so I cant ask the what to do, but I dont want to wait becasue symtoms come very quickly and include a really high fever ect...
So basically I dont know what to do because shes not showing symptoms yet but she could still have it and i dont know if i should take her to the hospital or not? Could they even find out if she has it if she doesnt have symptoms?
PLEASE HELP!

ArmyWifeNewMom

Asked by ArmyWifeNewMom at 9:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First, try to remember how amazing their little young and fresh bodies are. If you're breastfeeding, its a cinch. You boost your immune system and she will get it through you. In fact, if you read in the Le Leche League manual, it describes a phenomenon where a baby passes you something and your body actually makes an antibody for it and passes it back. If she is bottlefed, you could go to the healthfood store and see what there is for one so young. I use Immuno Zappers, but they are for older babies. I think there will be some stuff--yes, now i remember--the little tubes with liquid are for babies...look for the white box with pink and blue stripes. I use Hyland's homeopathics (Zero side effects) and Sambucol, and i just saw one esp. for kids the other day, but anything elderberry. Look for Herbs for Kids and see what the ages say. I seriously doubt an ER would do anything without symptoms.
    elizapark

Answer by elizapark at 9:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If you are breast feeding the baby should NOT get it. also as soon as people walk into your home send them to the sink to wash their hands and be sure they wash them well.
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• im not breast feeding, and i always tell people to wash their hands before they hold my daughter, but i looked this up online and it said you can get the flu by just breathing the same air.
    ArmyWifeNewMom

Answer by ArmyWifeNewMom at 11:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It does NOT matter if the child is breastfed or not! If that were the case I wouldn't see a single breastfed baby in with RSV and Influneza and I would say that their are just as many breastfed kids as not on my floor (pediatrics nurse)

There isn't really anything a doctor can do for you right now. Even if they tested her (a swab up her nose) there isn't anything she can have to make her not get it or make her better faster... she is too young.

You will just have to wait it out and see what happens. Hopefully she won't get it. I would call your pediatrician tomorrow and just let them know she was exposed they can give you more direction on what to watch for as far as signs and symptoms of when to call the doctor or when it's an emergency.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:39 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• i would give her vitamins make sure they are for infants!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Feb. 18, 2009