Question about dying hair...

i got a full head of highlights back in March and my roots are just now getting glaringly obvious. i cant afford to get them touched up professionally so i bought a box that is close to the color of my highlights. i know i cant just touch up my roots with the box dye cause it will look off, but if i dye my whole head, will i completely lose what highlights i still have? or will the box dye just mute them a bit?

basically, is there a way to box dye my roots without losing my highlights?

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 12:08 AM on Jun. 11, 2013 in Beauty & Style

• if your hair was bleached you'll bleach even further the lightened areas
    if it was dyed you'll have light and dark spots but not salon quality

and you have to ensure the color family you dont want orange or green hair- pretty common with home jobs

did you talk to the people at sallys?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:17 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• ^^^ that :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• *just so you know- the people at Sally's don't even have to have a license or be in school anymore as far as I know- so they are not going to be very helpful

but I agree with feral otherwise. You are looking at potentially screwing it up. Highlights aren't something you just fix at home with a box of color if you don't really have an idea of how color works and such.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:23 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I think that you should go to a salon, and you might have to prepare to lose your highlights and the dye in your hair. I had that happen one time and I couldn't save my highlights. I had to have my hair stripped to the natural hair color. But, turns out that whole thing was a blessing in disguse! Good Luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 9:38 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Is there a beauty school near you, or a voced with a hair dept? They need training hours, and work cheaper, but they'll use professional dyes.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• i got my highlights the first time from a beauty school (its where i get all my hair stuff done) but i really dont have $50 to spend on my hair.

im sure we have a Sally's but i've never been there. they'd probably just talk me into buying their stuff and id end up wasting more money than if i just got new highlights.

ive had highlights before and box dyed them out, but i went darker. i have no idea if they used bleach or dye...this is why i dont like hair stuff haha. you make it look good once and you have to keep wasting money on it or else you wind up looking worse than you did before.
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 10:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• if the highlights are lighter- I can pretty much guarantee there was some bleach involved and using a box dye yourself when you have no idea is probably NOT going to turn out well.

If you want to do it yourself- my suggestion is to just go with a color closer to the rest of your hair or darker, and it still may not turn out the greatest even then
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:11 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• you can but your hilites will be gone I'd say the streak look it will be a solid colour if ya do that with maybe a few you can see depending if it was bleached out I'd use an ash blonde colour if your hair pulls red in it like mine does, to avoid more brassiness I'd just do the regrowth myself & see how it looks before colouring over all that work & money ya spent, it will tone down within a weeks time too
    GL!
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 7:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2013