OMFG...these things are big enough to pick up a small dog and fly away with them!!

They are being called mega-mosquitoes. A species of oversized mosquito called gallinippers (and that totally sounds like a word your grandpa made up) have been spotted so far in Seminole County, and it sounds like they're hard to miss. The "notoriously aggressive" insects are 20 times larger than the regularly scheduled mosquito, which means they have a more painful bite, too. The massive insects were first detected after Tropical Storm Debby drenched the state in June 2012. Biologists say the best way to prevent a gallinipper bite is to use bug spray or maybe just to move to one of the other 49 states. They're all lovely this time of year!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/13/giant-gallinipper-mosquitoes-florida_n_2863451.html

The mega mosquito^^ regular mosquito ^^^

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:51 AM on Jun. 11, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Holy Crap! Can anyone say "Jumanji"?!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Okay, since you're the one that brought this to my attention, you need to give me a place to stay until I get on my feet, now that I have to move. lol

Seriously, the little mosquitoes are painful and annoying enough. Not to mention the yellow flies. Ugh!
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Holy Carp those things are huge.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 7:20 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• My dad has always had large bugs like that at his place here in PA. Mosquitoes get big and are bad from a shallow stagnant pond a neighbor has. I was stung by a super sized hornet right on the throat at his house. Glad I'm not allergic to them! Little bastard was over an inch long. Not kidding. I was holding my son when he was 2yrs old so I was afraid to knock it off me and have it land on him.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 8:01 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• That seals it. It's been a long time coming anyway.

Nuke Florida.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:43 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• They would be easier to spot and kill too. Here they tell us to be sure to dump any standing water to help prevent mosquitos. I have been to Florida for 2 months and , you have some bugs down there! lol.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• "shudder" I do not want to go outside now

LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• oh, ive known about those for about a year now. they are the size of a quarter, big but i doubt they can pick up a dog lol. luckily i havent crossed paths with one yet, nor have my kids. *knocks on wood*
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Mosquitoes the size of a quarter? Damn, now that has the makings of a horror movie.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:20 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• ewww gross
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 12:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2013