what could this be or nothing?

my friend has a four year old daughter who twirls her wrist when excited and stares at the object or toy while doing this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ummm I think it is child enthusiasm...

if your friend is worried about it, then your friend should take her daughter to the doctor and ask them.
    Anonymous

• Could be a type of handflapping or stim...Many children with neurological disorders do this.

Anonymous

• I wouldn't worry unless she is doing other odd behaviors besides this one. If she is on track developmentally with other kids her age then there shouldn't be a problem. If she is behind or has other odd behaviors your friend should bring it up at the next Dr's appt.  She could be copying something she's seen on tv too. For a while my nephew was copying SpongeBob's laugh... very annoying and strange, but no problem!

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 10:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If that's all she's doing it's probably her physical manifestation of what the toy is doing. If you call her name when she's doing it, does she stop staring at the toy? If you tell her to stop does she stop?

By "you" I mean the parent, actually.

That in and of itself doesn't mean a darn thing.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:50 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• she will stop occasionally not all the time she has an appt with neuro soon. tha nks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Feb. 18, 2009