Gun buy back at an elementary

Strobridge Elementary School in Hayward, Calif., held a toy-gun exchange program over the weekend, according to a report from CBS-5 San Francisco.

Inspired by gun buy-back programs that focus on getting weapons off the streets, Principal Charles Hill felt a similar program for toys made a lot of sense.

"Playing with toys guns, saying 'I'm going to shoot you,' desensitizes them," said Hill, "so, as they get older, it's easier for them to use a real gun."

Students who participated were given books in exchange for their toy guns. They were also enrolled in a raffle to win a bike, the event's grand prize.

CBS-5 spoke with parents who had brought their children to trade in their guns. One mother said she was always against toy guns, but she noted that her son felt left out when he saw the other kids playing with theirs.

Some of the guns shown in the CBS-5 report were clearly fake, but others that were exchanged might easily have passed for real weapons.

Police Officer Braydon Wilson, who was at the toy-gun exchange to talk to students about safety, told CBS-5 that sometimes kids will paint their toy guns to look like real ones. Other times, owners of real guns will paint the tip of the gun barrel orange to make it appear like a toy, according to Wilson.

The Daily Review spoke with Yih-Chau Chang, spokesperson for Responsible Citizens of California, a group that educates people about gun rights.

"Having a group of children playing cops and robbers or cowboys and Indians is a normal part of growing up," Chang said to the Daily Review.

"While the intentions are obviously good on the part of the school administration, this doesn't really educate children about guns or gun safety," he continued. "Guns are used in crimes, but they are more often used in defensive ways, which prevent violent crime from occurring in the first place."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/bay-area-elemntary-school-holds-toy-gun-exchange-172910646.html?vp=1

What do you think? I think it's a cute idea. But I do think some people are getting paranoid. Just because a kid plays with a toy gun, doesn't mean they will grow up to be a killer. 

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 11, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I think it's ridiculous! As other stated, playing with toy guns does not turn someone into a killer. Even with toys guns, my kids know that you never ever point them at someone. Starting with toys is a great way to teach gun safety safely before introducing them to the real thing.

Answer by missanc at 9:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I think we are taking childhood away from children. All the little boys who played cowboys & Indians or Cops & robbers when they were small all didn't grow up criminals. What about the little Boy who's Mom made cupcakes for his class. She put little Army figures on them since he likes to play army & they School sent them home because the soldiers had guns. That is absolutely ridiculous! Maybe we are sheltering our kids too much. Maybe they will become too curious about these things then they become a novelty or "what is it"? Like the little Boy who shot his Dad by accident the other day when he was visiting his dad's friend & found a gun but didn't know what it was. Knowledge is power. This buyback of toy guns is for the Parents.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:49 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Welcome to the bubble wrap generation.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:50 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• My first question is where does the money come from to buy these guns from the kids or to purchase a bike to raffle off? I would question the thought process if it were tax dollars being used.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:47 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• This makes me want to bang my head on my computer desk. Like so many others, we don't have a GUN problem. We have a "parents need to teach their children" problem. And I'm not saying all parents, either, this is just a generalization.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• More time and money wasted.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I think there are way too many paranoid people in this world. While it is a cute idea and I love that they are getting books, it isn't going to help anything. Those kids still won't know what to do if they find a gun. Teaching gun safety is key, even for families who don't own guns!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:35 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Sorry. Just reheard and see that they stated kids were given books in exchange. I would like to know how those were purchased.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:49 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• It takes more than a cap gun and a game of cowboys and Indians to make someone a criminal prone to using a real gun. This is ridiculous.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Ridiculous! What exactly is this teaching kids? It sure as shit isn't teaching them gun safety. Playing Cops and Robbers and Cowboys and Indians is a part of childhood and it's being demonized by ignorant people who wouldn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. I played these games as a kid and didn't turn into a criminal because my parents weren't paranoid and I didn't live in a bubble, I was taught gun safety and respect for guns at an early age. These schools have zero common sense. My blood boils every time I read a story about a school going over the top crazy over stupidity. I guess I should be happy that they're not making these kids piss themselves or suspending them for turning in toys. This is a waste of money and the kids aren't learning anything about gun safety.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2013