What age is the right age to teach kids about gun safety?

What do you think is a good time to start? What is the fist thing you should teach?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 11, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• I'd say 5 or 6 so they can understand danger thoroughly. My Dad had many hand guns. He owned his own business & had carrying permits. He had all his handguns in a drawer loaded next to his bed. I watched him clean his guns often & was explained how dangerous they are & that only grownups should touch them because if they go off they can hurt you very bad. I was made to understand the importance & have respect for these dangerous items. I never was interested in them because there was no mystery about them. Just like explaining to a child who can reach the top of the stove not to touch it because they can get very hurt. Today, I would not have guns in drawers with my kids. I'd have them locked away but no mystery about them. Just for grownups.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:06 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• We started with our kids very early. Even with toys, my 2 and 4 yo know not to point them at anyone ever. And they know never ever to always ask before touching a gun, even if they think it's a toy. I think teaching safety with toy guns and then with BB guns is a great way to introduce them to how to handle a gun safely. I think how much and when depends on where you live. My kids don't come into contact with guns a lot so their education will be slower and later. But I have friends that live in a very rural area and it's not uncommon for a 6 year old or younger to already know how to shoot a gun.

Answer by missanc at 10:06 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Birth. You teach by showing, not just telling, the same way you treat cleaning products.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I can remember, early on.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:15 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I agree with NP. You teach them from the time they are born. Just get more specific and more in depth as they get older. Even families without guns need to teach their kids gun safety.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:32 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• All 3 of our children go hunting with dad and have since a around age 5, they were taught early.. A gun is not a toy and they knew it from a early age...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:57 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Especially if there are guns in the home, I don't think it's ever too early to teach that they are for grown-ups and not kids, and not for touching when you aren't planning to use them. My ex's dad always had guns around. He took my ex and his three brothers out one day and shot a watermelon in their yard. Red juice and pulp splattered everywhere, of course, and the dad said that was what could happen to someone's head if a gun unexpectedly went off. My ex said he never forgot that lesson.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• It's never too early to teach gun safety. I was taught when I was a tiny toddler and the lessons went from there and were age appropriate so that I could comprehend everything. I never once had a desire to play with guns or screw around with them when I was a child because I was taught respect for guns. I teach my child the same respect I was taught.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Just gun safety. Not learning how to shoot a gun. Early2,3yo.

Answer by louise2 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Yep birth. I grew up around guns, shot my first riffle at age 5. At age 10 I was given the choice between a bbgun or some other gift, I choose the bbgun and was allowed to use it unsupervised(though it was stored in my mother's care and I always had to ask first) because I had demonstrated the maturity to do so.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2013