S/O Is it my body, my choice

equally male and female?
A woman is allowed by law to abort a baby without anyone's knowledge or consent , up to a certain month. It is her body and her choice.

Another poster said her husband had to take her to give her written consent before he could have a vasectomy. This may have been the doctor's rule and not a law. IDK

Should a man be required to have a permission slip to have a vasectomy. Is it, or should it be, by law his boy, his choice?

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 10:11 AM on Jun. 11, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I never heard of having a wife OK a vasectomy. I'd be interested if this was an actual fact.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:12 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Legally, no, it should not be required. Morally, you have no business being in a relationship with someone if you're not willing or able to discuss it first. That goes for all things reproduction related.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:12 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I think it should be his choice, along with a woman's choice to have her tubes tied.

No doubt the doctors are just trying to avoid potential lawsuits.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• While I think it would be far better to have his partner on board before he gets a vasectomy, I believe a man should have the same jurisdiction over his body that a woman has over hers. Needing permission for some procedures and not for others is a double standard.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:25 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• my kids dad didn't need mine, when my brother got his done he's wife didn't need to give it. I think it depends on the state.
    For example here in Utah a woman or man can not be "fixed" unless they are over 27 or have 3 kids.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I would think it should be his choice. I don't like the idea of needing "permission" to get a procedure like that.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:17 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• when my ex had a vasectomy, he didn't need my permission and we were married at the time. but yes, i think it works both ways. if a man wants his balls snipped, it's his body and his choice.

i wonder if it only applies with some doctors if the couple is married.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:34 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• its kind of disturbing because since when does marriage give you the right to make decisions for anyone's body but your own?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I've done some looking, it actually depends on the doctor.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Never heard of needing the wife's consent for it. If it is something a particular doctor does it is probably a way to cover their ass for avoiding litigation.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:24 AM on Jun. 11, 2013