Anybody file bankruptcy?

I've finally completed it, it's been 5 long years. MY credit is fair. Anybody done it and how did it take before your credit was good again?

Sillylins

Asked by Sillylins at 11:32 AM on Jun. 11, 2013 in Money & Work

• I did about 15 years ago when I got divorced, but then my ex had opened up a few things in MY name before the divorce/bankruptcy was final. So about 9 years ago things started popping up, and according to all the major credit reporting agencies they wouldn't do anything about it unless my ex ADMITTED to doing this (which would never happen- he'd go to jail), because we were once married and most likely "still living together". Basically insinuating that we were still together trying to scam credit card companies.
    He has since filed AGAIN, and will most likely loose the house he's owned (we owned) after 20 years because he cannot manage money.
    Being married to that asshole 15 years ago has probably ruined my credit for another 5 or 6 years. :(
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I have not but my cousin did. Not sure how her credit is but she has learned to pay for everything with cash now.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:38 AM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I haven't but a good friend of mine and her husband did it about five years ago. I don't know their credit scores, but I do know they just qualified to buy a brand-new Kia this last month.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I did a chapter 7 in 2005. My credit score is the the 700s now. I worked hard to get it there too.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• It is entirely up to you. I've seen people work their asses off and clean it up in 4. I've seen others screw around and file in a different chapter 2 years later. It's not the system that will determine that rating, but what you do. It sounds like you had a 13, which gives you a slight edge if you made every payment on time.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I know how that is PartyGal ANne. My ex put a nice little dent in my excellent credit. But, i'm a fighter. I'm not giving up, i'm still young hoping it will be repaired.
    Sillylins

Comment by Sillylins (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2013