Does your ds/dd stick their fingers down their throat and gag themselves?

DS does it all the time. It kinda worries me but he doesn't seem to be hurting himself.

lvlymummy08

Asked by lvlymummy08 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes she did it for 2 months. They just dont have dexterity yet so they cant suck just their thumb. Try to give him toys to suck on. They really do it when theres nothing else to do.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Yes my DD still does this and she has acid reflux so it makes matters worse!
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 9:33 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• heh., my son use to do that a lot when he was teething. now he just does the gagging sound because it gets adults attention without sticking his hand all the way into his mouth.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My son totally does this. I think he does it bc he's figuring out cause & effect. Sometimes I wonder if he does it bc his throat hurts, he did it constantly when he was sick last month.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 9:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• DD used to do it. At first, I was worried about it, but I think that's how they figure out how far they CAN jam their fingers in there without choking. I also think they don't have the best coordination, so it's harder for them to realize that they're going to gag.
    lilianasmom4508

Answer by lilianasmom4508 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• yup my son does it too:) and hes 6 months old
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My 8 month old son does that. It drives me crazy.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• yeah my son did this for a while. he just always wanted to suck on his hands and put them too far down.... he stopped doing it, he doesn't really chew on his hands that much either, just when hes teething. Most of the other times he would rather chew on a toy, and now that he has teeth, he doesn't like to bite him own hands....doesn't stop him from trying to put your hands in his mouth and bite them though.... he also has a fascination with putting his hands in your mouth.... maybe just exploring all the teeth we have...
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• my son is 6 months and has done this for some time. same as calvinsmom above, gets his fist and finger too far back there
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My son did it for a little while. It was a phase. He stopped.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 11:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2009