Sewing machine beginner?

I have been wanting to learn how to sew for a while now i think this pregnancy has woken up my creative side lol. I want to make so many things but they all required to be made with a machine. Anyways i have been looking at sewing machines on walmart and i like the brother brand and singer i think its what its called. Now my question is what do yall recommend? I dont want anything to fancy or difficult to use because i have no idea how to use a sewing machine like i said. Any tips on how to get started?

I want to make burp cloths, little bags, and some blankets basically just make simple things.

mylovelylife

Asked by mylovelylife at 11:55 AM on Jun. 11, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I had a Sears machine for about twenty years before buying a Viking. The Sears was still very useable even then. I just wanted an upgrade. I understand Brother and Singer are fine machines also. Go to the library and look at sewing books for beginners. Plus there are a ton of videos on Youtube. Look at several for each item you want to make, though, because some of the instructors are much better than others. Some make little projects more difficult than need be and/or do not finish them nicely. Also if you have a fabric store nearby you might look into some classes, but I found I do well with books and written instructions that I can look at over and over. Feel free to ask me questions too if you want.....just message me. Good luck. Hope you love sewing! (And don't be too hard on yourself as you learn......be patient and if you get frustated put the project down for awhile and come back to it)
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 12:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Also....sometimes the store where you buy the machine will give you an introductory lesson.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 12:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• @silverthreads thank you i went to joanns not to long ago and they have classes but they offer them around the time that i will be having my son :/
    mylovelylife

Comment by mylovelylife (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Yay! I should be getting a sewing machine soon too and have no idea how to use one. I have a couple friends that sew that have offered to come help me. The library has great books on it too! The local community college has classes too.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:37 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I have a brother. Not a ton of bells and whistles, decent, basic machine, and more than enough for what you want to do. If you need lessons, they're all a you tube video away. Everything from threading the machine to start to finish projects there for you to watch.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• If you're not wanting to spend a lot of money I'd look on Craigs List and yard sales. I've seen them for $10 before and we're talking newer Singer sewing machines. I had a Koyo for 30 years before it finally bit the dust last year. I'm now using a Singer that was given to me and it works great. You can also talk to your local extension office and they may be able to refer you to someone who will help you with sewing.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• My SO sisters knows how to use it but she isnt very patient lol and i dont want to get frustruated.
    mylovelylife

Comment by mylovelylife (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Didn't you have Home Ec in school? My 18 year SON old knows how to sew on a sewing machine.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Um no i didnt
    mylovelylife

Comment by mylovelylife (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• My first machine was a Brother, and it served me well. I also have a White, which I like very much. You can teach yourself to sew. Just use the instruction booklet that comes with your machine, and buy a pattern and follow the instructions. That's how I learned many, many years ago.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2013