Did you know that there is a way to rule out genetic disorders even if you are a carrier?

I read a lot here that people would not try to conceive a child if one or the other had a genetic disorder. There is a way to rule it out & have a child free of that genetic disorder. It is called Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis.

From Wikipedia,

Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD or PIGD) refers to genetic profiling of embryos prior to implantation (as a form of embryo profiling), and sometimes even of oocytes prior to fertilization. PGD is considered in a similar fashion to prenatal diagnosis. When used to screen for a specific genetic disease, its main advantage is that it avoids selective pregnancy termination as the method makes it highly likely that the baby will be free of the disease under consideration. PGD thus is an adjunct to assisted reproductive technology, and requires in vitro fertilization (IVF) to obtain oocytes or embryos for evaluation.

The term pre-implantation genetic screening (PGS) is used to denote procedures that do not look for a specific disease but use PGD techniques to identify embryos at risk. PGD is a poorly chosen phrase because, in medicine, to "diagnose" means to identify an illness or determine its cause. An oocyte or early-stage embryo has no symptoms of disease. They are not ill. Rather, they may have a genetic condition that could lead to disease. To "screen" means to test for anatomical, physiological, or genetic conditions in the absence of symptoms of disease. So both PGD and PGS should be referred to as types of embryo screening.

The procedures may also be called preimplantation genetic profiling to adapt to the fact that they are sometimes used on oocytes or embryos prior to implantation for other reasons than diagnosis or screening.[1]

So just because you are a carrier does not mean your child will have the disorder as well.

I have had this procedure done myself. It works.

Did you know this existed? I know some of you will say it is Gods will, don't fool with nature etc. but unless you had an issue you can't really rule out this option. Why would you? Cost aside.

I am going anon just for privacy reasons.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2013 in Trying to Conceive

• I think it would be a very good option for parents who are carriers of diseases they don't want to pass on, especially the ones that are incompatible with life.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• But I'm sure it's not cheap and most insurance companies will not cover it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• ^^^LostSoul, That's why I said cost aside. It is partially covered under insurance. Out of pocket for this procedure alone is about $6,000. Not including the cost for IVF which is also partially covered under most insurances.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Oh, and just for the record, I don't think a baby ending up with a genetic disorder is God's will, thank you very much. It's a part of nature; it happens. IVF helps people create life for the children they want so desperately, and why not use the screening if you can? It drives me ape nuts crazy when people start saying that God decided to give me, or someone else, a disability for this or that reason. Nature decided, it's the luck of the draw, and if I, or someone else, makes good use of the circumstances, that has nothing to do with the will of God.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I personally wouldn't do it but I probably wouldn't do IVF either. Just a personal decision.

But my illnesses are not 100% transferred, meaning while there is a chance that my son could develope my illness or a similar autoimmune it isn't a 100% chance. And I they don't have genetic testing for it yet anyways.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 11, 2013