What do you like/dislike about the "credits" system in Answers?

We don't currently plan on killing credits altogether (though the name could change), but it could definitely be made simpler and better. So what are your favorite and least favorite elements? What would you change about it if you could?

Your answers can be as broad or as specific as you'd like.

Thanks!

Cafe BTC

Asked by Cafe BTC at 1:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2013 in About CafeMom

• I do not give credits much thought, if ever.

- except -
    when i am a few hundred away from leveling up...
    then about as exciting as watching speedometer flip over
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Personally, I think the credits are fun. What I would change is the profile page. It would be nice to see what answers of mine others have bumped or voted up without having to wade through the record of what I've answered, bumped, and voted up for others, since I already know that. It would also be nice to have a report card section that showed number of bes answers, total number of questions answered and voted up, that kind of thing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• crazy for credits is stupid

I know there are some people who enjoy it as a "chat room" (so I have heard)
    but every time I have peeked in there... no chat was going on

so I say CAN C4C, and set up some kind of chat room for the ladies who chat in c4c (and anyone else for that matter)
    -------------
    that is all i got on this subject
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• i like that the points make it clear (usually) who is a regular and who is new. when a ridiculous question is asked by someone level 3 and below its like a red flag to check out their profile. which then shows they are brand new trolls. points are kinda like an insurance policy against trolls...not always, but it helps.

also i like that points keep new ppl from posting anon...you have to earn it (even tho its not hard to earn).

i like the college/degree theme of the points. its silly but its fun. its not the reason ive stayed here or why i come back, i just think its cute.

i disliked how easy it was for some to get points in Crazy for Credits without ever asking/answering a real question. while the majority of those ppl are now gone, it was really annoying for the first 6 months having a buncha ppl "high in the ranks" who were just playing Answers like it was a game. but that really isnt a problem anymore.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• It inspires people to spam the hell out of the section with either plagiarized questions from yahoo answers, copy and pasted news articles with no question or debate included, or pointless non-questions. It inspires people to leave smartass answers on questions from people they don't like, sometimes posting just the word "points". That's due to points, and badges, and mainly to unlock anon so they can abuse it. It increases the noise and drowns out the signal. Mainly, they encourage people's inner asshat.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• but honestly, i really dont think much about points...except for when im about to level up or i get a new minor/major/degree in a category. but that doesnt happen much anymore. the points are basically the same as in Whose Line is it Anyway...they dont matter.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Also, people have gone so far (and we did report them) to run multiple accounts just to level up their credits. Those are the ones least likely to contribute anything helpful, useful, or even sympathetic, and most likely to monopolize the section with spam, with no regard to the users with real questions they're bouncing back to page3 where nobody sees it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I think a lot of people who frequent here do not pay any attention to anymore. Might as well get rid of it and do a new system. Like others suggested, something that shows how long they've been a member. Or a marking showing if they've abused the anonymous feature before.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Or a marking showing if they've abused the anonymous feature before.

LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 

LMAO

THAT would be fun

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Seeing a member's level lets you know if they've been a member for a while. So if they ever got rid of that, it would be nice if it said, "Member since _______-(ex. June, 2010)". And like others have said, it's fun when you are about to reach a new level & if you ask for help, others will help "Bump" you along. :) I also like that when I vote up someone, they gets points too.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2013