I have three children ages 5-10. I also have a swimming pool and neighbor kids are always asking to swim. I have at last two neighbor kids over here from 9am-7pm. Does anyone have any advice on how to set boundaries for pool time and family time?

Asked by Heathervbh at 2:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• That's way too long! I'm sure the parents appreciate the free babysitting. Do they bring their own sunscreen, towels, food, & drinks? Or are you supplying that too? I would allow a 2-3 hour window for friends to come over & not every day either. Put your foot down now, or they will just keep taking advantage of you.

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I would go talk to their parents and set times they are allowed over there and how much time is allowed. You're responsible if anything happens to those kids. make the parents sign a waiver.

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I agree with the above posters. Speak to the Parents. This could be a dangerous situation.

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I agree with the above posters.

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I'd like to add that we have a pool too & for the couple of neighbor kids who are not strong swimmers, I insist that they only come when both my husb & I are home or if they bring down their own parent(s) to keep an eye on them. I am certified in CPR, but that doesn't mean I want to use it!

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• 9am-7pm
    no way

you could make an adult come with the kids, that way you are not responsible for the kids in a pool
    and no adult is going to hang at your house for 10 sane adult would be so rude

Answer by fiatpax at 2:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I wouldn't allow any children under 12 over without their parents there to supervise.

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• To the neighbor kids. The word NO comes to mind when they ask. I would inform them it is not a public pool.

Answer by louise2 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I agree with PP, no kids under 12 without their parent there to supervise. Have set times for when they can come over and make them bring their own stuff. You should be getting paid for all the babysitting you are doing!

Answer by kmath at 2:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I'm assuming that you have gates/fences around your pool?
    I'd put up a sign. "This is NOT a public pool. If you have not been personally invited over for a swim, don't come in."
    Let your friends and kid's friends know that if you want them over, you'll call for them.

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2013