Anybody get insomnia later in life?

I've never had a problem before. I guess I sit and think too much. I am 31. and lately i can't seem to fall asleep, unless I'm super tired and then I crash. I 've been thinking about going to a doctor. any advice?

Sillylins

Asked by Sillylins at 2:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2013 in Health

• Do you consume a lot of caffeine or sugar? Maybe start an exercise routine. Usually age related insomnia happens when you are a lot older. You are still very young. Maybe you just have too much on your mind. I'd steer clear of sleeping pills though. I think we all go through bouts of this off & on. Do you snore? Maybe you have sleep apnea & wake yourself up having trouble breathing?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• 31 is later in life? I thought you were going to say 50 or older!

Answer by louise2 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Some people have success with Unisom, which is non-addictive and available over-the-counter. There are also herbal remedies such as melatonin and volarian root, although that last one gave me nightmares. Have you tried putting some soft music on so you can drift away with it?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I got it into my teens and recently stopped suffering from it. It helped me by getting the stresses out of my life.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• It could be hormonal changes. If it's b/c of your mind racing, try making a list or keep a pad of paper & pen next to the bed to help keep a clear mind. A clear mind leads to a restful night's sleep.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2013