Bath nights.

My son gets very upset when it's time to wash his hair. He hates it being poured up on his head. Any suggestions on how to not have him be so afraid of the water. He does swimming but for some reason he's really scared. I suspect his father has tramaized him somehow. I'm at a loss what to do i'm patient as possible but need suggestions.

Sillylins

Asked by Sillylins at 2:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2013 in General Parenting

• Get one of those cup/bucket things with the rubber side. You press the rubber against the forehead and lean his head back a bit so the water just runs over his hair and doesn't get in his face or in his ears. Still took my son a while to get over his trepidation but now he's not afraid at all. In fact, I think he rather enjoys it.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• maybe have him tint his head forward so the water/soap doesn't run over his face. Or fill the tub with shallow water and have him lie down to wash his hair.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I use to give my DD's a wash cloth to put over there face.

Answer by louise2 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• How old is he?

Many kids are like this my son was and still is to a point. I would allow him to hold a washcloth on his face so he didn't have to worry about water getting on it. And explained to him that he doesn't have a choice we have to do it, and just try and find the most comfortable way for them to do it. For my son it was the cup over the head. He still didn't like it but it was a necessity so he had to do it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I think that's a normal little kid/baby thing. Maybe he feels like he can't breath when the water runs down his face over his eyes & nose. Both my kids were like that. I put a face cloth right above their eyes on their forehead while I rinse their hair with my other hand. This way a lot of water won't run down their face.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• My son use to be afraid to wash his hair until he started showers, and did it on his own. He just did not like the water on his face.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• My DD has had a love/hate relationship with washing hair for years. I think it's pretty normal in young kids.

We use a detachable shower head that works great. I can get her look up at the ceiling while I shampoo and rinse. Other times she uses a washcloth.

Also make sure the shampoo you use is really tear free. Some brands are not as good as others.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• How old is he?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I always let my daughter hold a washcloth over her face so she can wipe her eyes if any water gets in. Also, I have her tip her head forward instead of back so not as much water and soap run down her face.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• It might be a control thing. I can stick my face under the shower and I'm fine, but when someone else wants to dump water over my head, if they don't warn me first, I get upset. It's not like I think they're trying to drown me, but I just need that control to be able to say, "Okay, I'm ready." And since he's a kid, he might feel, even if you're telling him, "Okay, I'm going to do this now", like he's not ready, or in control.

Maybe you could try letting him tell you when he's ready to do it? Or have him do it himself - you can just direct "You missed some over here" or "Do it one more time", things like that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2013